Proposed minimum size limits for trout!

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Re: Proposed minimum size limits for trout!

Post by blacklab99 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:53 pm

interesting topic
Having had a lot to do with N.Z trout fisheries for a number of years, they could do well in following there model.
N.Z now has one of the world best trout fisheries, they did this over a number of years, realising the overall potential
of managing the fishery in such a way, that it was not only sustainable, but could produce a world class trout fishing industry.
The rules and regulations that were bought in, including size and catch limits, breeding ground restrictions were the driving force
that turned it in to what it is today. But, Depends what people want I guess ! or which way they want to go, probably not a right way
or a wrong way to manage the fishery, as long as there's trout in the waterways and there not fished out ......

c

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:45 pm

And the effect on native nz fish has been beneficial or detrimental ?

Stocking trout into the murray river would probably make for many happy cod fisho's :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:12 pm

Opinions are like a...holes, everyone's got one...
When are people going to pull their heads out to see the light??? Trout are here to stay, and it's ridiculous to have narrow-minded thoughts that they get "special attention" and they are a 2nd rate species because they are "introduced". There are many water systems in this state that cannot sustain native species due to types of habitat. We aren't all lucky enough to live with waterways such as the murray or goulburn or its tributories right at our back door!! Cod and yellas get plenty of attention, and it's well shown with the number of fish released over recent years. A million cod plus went into eildon over a 3 yr period recently. No trout stocking has even come close!
FFS, we need to all band together in order to get the best out of everything available! Certain waterways will thrive with the correct species, and that may be a mix of species, but it's a matter of being wise and assisting the "correct species". I can't understand why anyone with a healthy passion for fishing can think that it's ok to take small fish for the table...what a waste.
IMO, size/bag limits should vary with 3 categories...."Streams/rivers", "trophy lakes", and "family lakes". Let's make a real fishery out of this state and get the best out of what's available. It's about time people took off the blinkers to take a long hard look at the big picture...

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:19 pm

I pulled my head out so to speak quite some years ago,and got off mine.So did a lot of other's.

I will continue to do so.

I'm not lucky enough to live near the sea, any chance of getting a salt water lake made & stocked up here so i can catch a flathead or whiting.

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:33 pm

drew 2 wrote:I pulled my head out so to speak quite some years ago,and got off mine.So did a lot of other's.

I will continue to do so.

I'm not lucky enough to live near the sea, any chance of getting a salt water lake made & stocked up here so i can catch a flathead or whiting.
I dont think trout had anything to do with the decline of native fish in the murray system, probably more Carp and the daming of such waterways but I am all for sustaining both fisheries although the only cod I ever caught was like dragging in a wet towel but boy can those carp fight on light gear, I hope the native fishery comes back to it's one time glory but unfortunately after seeing old photos of people with hundreds of Cod and the like I fear the fishery is in trouble :a_goodjob:

HarryS11

Post by HarryS11 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:00 pm

Redhunter wrote:Opinions are like a...holes, everyone's got one...
FFS, we need to all band together in order to get the best out of everything available! Certain waterways will thrive with the correct species, and that may be a mix of species, but it's a matter of being wise and assisting the "correct species". I can't understand why anyone with a healthy passion for fishing can think that it's ok to take small fish for the table...what a waste.
IMO, size/bag limits should vary with 3 categories...."Streams/rivers", "trophy lakes", and "family lakes". Let's make a real fishery out of this state and get the best out of what's available. It's about time people took off the blinkers to take a long hard look at the big picture...
I have to agree with you there especially with the category idea, they all have different habitats and spawning habits so different regulations make sense. Another point on trout is that fishing licenses get bought by people heading off trout fishing and a lot of that money gets spent on helping native fish recover and they provide tourism and jobs for small towns.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:04 pm

Different class waters is something that is used in new zealand (the south island at least), tasmania and new south wales. I don't understand why victoria doesn't follow suit.
Something that would work well in vic (with refinement is); Tailrace, creek/river, Lake, and trophy/breeding area.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:18 pm

We already have that sort of thing, although the rules for each one are pretty similar apart from closed seasons; lakes and impoundments, Family Fishing lakes, rivers and streams, tailrace, and sea run trout rivers.
http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/fisheries ... egulations
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:26 pm

There is no difference to the bag limit, means of taking the fish or size limit. They are purely distinguished for the purpose of the closed season.

edit: there is a minor difference between lake and everywhere else's bag limit

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:03 pm

Redhunter wrote:Opinions are like a...holes, everyone's got one...
When are people going to pull their heads out to see the light??? Trout are here to stay, and it's ridiculous to have narrow-minded thoughts that they get "special attention" and they are a 2nd rate species because they are "introduced". There are many water systems in this state that cannot sustain native species due to types of habitat. We aren't all lucky enough to live with waterways such as the murray or goulburn or its tributories right at our back door!! Cod and yellas get plenty of attention, and it's well shown with the number of fish released over recent years. A million cod plus went into eildon over a 3 yr period recently. No trout stocking has even come close!
Well put Redhunter.... legal size for both brown & rainbow trout in the rivers down here in Tassie is 22cms and a bag limit of 12 fish per day. One can still fish on after catching the bag limit but it's all catch and release after that. The lakes are much different as they're got different legal lengths and catch rates. www.ifs.tas.gov.au if you wish to check out the Inland Fisheries site here in Tassie.

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Other Species”