karkaroork 18/08/15

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Basti
Has liked: 15 times

karkaroork 18/08/15

Post by Basti » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:06 am

popped down for a bit of fly casting practice on my way home. Arrived to very light winds quickly dying off to glassed out. walked around a fair bit of the lake and saw what looked like a sewer overflow/inlet that was flowing in bursts. smelled like drains around it. Never knew it existed but haven't been there after rains before.

saw one decent boil near this flow, and another a bit later on near the beach/fishing platform. Didn't get onto any fish as literally as i was casting to the second boil, a fellow rocked up with his RC speed boat and proceeded to rip up the surface of the lake around me. I decided it was a good time to fix all the tangles in my tippet while i was doing so, and chatting to a couple of baitos who had stopped to commiserate on their way to the car, old mate managed to flip his speed machine a good 20m out. Luckily it was out far enough that he was crotch deep when he waded out to right it. :rofl:

Sadly this didn't put him off so i relocated to the other side of the bridge where i saw yet another boil. Too far to cast for this fly noob though. noticed a nice sized reddie carcass on the bank. only the head had been eaten, which i found odd. would have been 30ish cm in my estimation.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: karkaroork 18/08/15

Post by Nude up » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:42 am

Those speed boats are a pain I have a lake at the end of my street which has carp and is on the holiday trout stocking program but some gas speed boat people keep ripping it up. They do try and keep away from the anglers

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: karkaroork 18/08/15

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:05 am

I think that's some kind if storm water overflow not 100% sure though. If you walk along the walking track you can see some sort of catchment area.
I didn't think they would release sewer water into it

Last time I was there. Few years ago now I think. I seen a guy with a fly outfit doing a few casts. Just got to be careful of people around you.
May try the area soon if I get a chance

Return to “Other Species”