Vic trout opening...2015.

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Rod Bender

Vic trout opening...2015.

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi peoples
A bit less than six weeks to go now! Saturday September 5th it all happens on the streams! :) Yet to be confirmed but what I understand the 'Trout Festival' that fisheries have held on opening eve and on the Saturday at Eildon may be held on the Saturday only. Which is good cos it will stop me from doing the same dumb ass thing I did last year...go on the Friday night and hit the rubi after midnight after visiting the festival and then passing time at the pondage...and getting home about 5 am when the intelligent people were heading off! :)

So...my plans will be to visit the festival on the morning...then hit the rubi at my easily accessible spot in the arvo, regardless of flow or water color. Will stay on well after dark as well. Not to fussed about it getting a flogging before hand, told my supervisor about it last year and he went there in the arvo and was confronted by...one car there! :-D I don't give a f@#k if I catch anything anyway. Love the area...just hope I can still walk when the time comes! :)

So, who is going that weekend or soon after!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Re: Vic trout opening...2015.

Post by meppstas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:29 pm

You've got 6 weeks to get yourself in shape for a big weekend then Jim... :banana:

Our Brown Trout season opens next Saturday 1st August.... :super: & Rainbow Trout waters opens 3rd October as they don't spawn until September.
Last edited by meppstas on Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Larksy88

Post by Larksy88 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:55 pm

i will be strolling up one of those streams also. Not sure which one yet but may bump into you

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:05 pm

Be a high country river for me
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:30 pm

So when the Victorian Trout Season opens is it for both Brown & Rainbows or Browns only followed up a month later for Rainbows. Only reason I'm asking is because Rainbows spawn later than the browns do..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Gotta trout opening comp in yea weekend after hopefully hit the Mcallister river around Licola!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

widgeon58

Post by widgeon58 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:17 pm

Adrian

I have always believed it to be open season for both, to the best of my knowledge>

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:21 pm

meppstas wrote:So when the Victorian Trout Season opens is it for both Brown & Rainbows or Browns only followed up a month later for Rainbows. Only reason I'm asking is because Rainbows spawn later than the browns do..

cheers
Adrian
Widgeon is correct! As far as I'm concerned they receive to much protection anyway! :) Although I can see where you are coming from Adrian...trout in tassie need all the protection they can get cos there is nothing else to fish for there in freshwater! :)
cheers
Team Bender
Feeling obnoxious today!

Edit. Adrian...are different waters open and some closed re: different seasons for browns and bows?

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:58 pm

Yes there's certain rivers & lakes that are classed as Brown Trout waters & others are classed as Rainbow waters. For Example Jim, a river such as the Mersey River is a brown trout water from below Lake Rowallan, it contains both brown & rainbows. So once the brown trout season opens you can still catch & keep rainbows from this water. Above Lake Rowllan (also classed as rainbow water) is Lake Meston another rainbow water & from there is where the Mersey River starts and flows into Lake Rowallan. This long stretch of the upper Mersey River is also rainbow water and doesn't open until 3rd October either. Rainbow trout waters also close around one month later than the brown trout waters too.

That's right too Jim, the only large native species of fish here in Tassie is the river Blackfish which are apparently good eating but also very bony too. Rarely take a lure , though i have manage to catch a few on the little black fury's from time to time. I would love it if we had Callop, Cod and especially
bass in the rivers here that's for sure. But we don't have those species here and so we've got to look after the trout fishery that we have and enjoy it. I still feel that they're one of the best fish to stalk in a river too. but then I'm probably a little bias too, but when I lived in Sth Aust we only had the Murat River to fish in and that you couldn't get in a wade any way. It was mainly bait fishing for me back in those days there, some of the smaller rivers had trout in them and you earn't every one you stalked and caught too. Then along came the carp and that really stuffed them up as did the drought years.
Rarely did the small rivers hold native fish either as most were over run with redfin perch.
Well that's it for me, probably bored you all enough by now.. :water:

cheers
Adrian

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:00 pm

You never bore us Adrian!

Return to “Other Species”