Trout: Rabbits of the river!

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Rod Bender

Trout: Rabbits of the river!

Post by Rod Bender » Tue May 12, 2015 6:47 pm

Hi peoples
Noticed a link to this article on Facebook today. It is interesting reading although it is a couple years old. Whilst it is critical of Victorian fisheries, it does say they do not release trout into rivers and streams. I do not think this is the case any more! I know many of you will say it is crap...love my trout fishing, they should be stocked, etc. I love my trout fishing too. I wonder if trout were not promoted/stocked as much, and natives were stocked in rivers where they were once prominent...people would then enjoy fishing for natives. To be honest, if trout became extinct in Oz overnight...I wouldn't lose any sleep!
cheers
Jim
http://theconversation.com/rabbits-of-t ... alia-14115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

foggybottom

Re: Trout: Rabbits of the river!

Post by foggybottom » Tue May 12, 2015 7:13 pm

Hear Hear. It's why I don't feel bad about keeping my bag of trout, especially in the waters upstream of dams where natives may be able to regain a foothold if given the opportunity. Another article which may be useful is:
http://flickandflyjournal.com/2014/09/2 ... -bad-idea/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue May 12, 2015 7:25 pm

Rod Bender wrote:Hi peoples
Noticed a link to this article on Facebook today. It is interesting reading although it is a couple years old. Whilst it is critical of Victorian fisheries, it does say they do not release trout into rivers and streams. I do not think this is the case any more! I know many of you will say it is crap...love my trout fishing, they should be stocked, etc. I love my trout fishing too. I wonder if trout were not promoted/stocked as much, and natives were stocked in rivers where they were once prominent...people would then enjoy fishing for natives. To be honest, if trout became extinct in Oz overnight...I wouldn't lose any sleep!
cheers
Jim
http://theconversation.com/rabbits-of-t ... alia-14115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i agree with you jim. while trout are fun to catch, and fight hard on light gear, so do carp. I wouldn't call for a eradication program or anything drastic like that, but a reduction in the intensity of the stocking program would give the natives a little relief.

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:45 pm

spotted carp

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue May 12, 2015 9:40 pm

bring on the freshwater natives, bass/yellowbelly/cod. although have no issue with trout in the rivers/streams where the natives don't thrive.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Tue May 12, 2015 10:37 pm

This all sounds like fish racism to me! Lol.
Seriously though, trout do have their place in certain waterways throughout the State, but I do agree that there has been too much emphasis on trout in time gone by. I do however believe that things are starting to turn around.
The genetics in our trout stocks are crap. The hatcheries keep breeding rubbish, because they don't use any decent brood stock. As for natives, well, brood stock with great genetics aplenty are within arm's reach...and they aren't stocked as much as trout? Why is that? Is it expense? Are they more difficult to breed? Doesn't make a great deal of sense really...but maybe that explains why people have that "attitude" towards trout.
Is there a reason cod, yellas, bass, and trout can't live together in the same waterway? Seems to work quite well in Eildon (don't think there's bass in there though). Can't understand why we can't get the best of all worlds!

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue May 12, 2015 10:58 pm

Catch a trout, feed it to the wildlife. Catch a redfin, feed to wildlife. Catch a native, release back into water. Kill the introduced pests

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Wed May 13, 2015 1:22 am

Redhunter wrote:This all sounds like fish racism to me! Lol.
Seriously though, trout do have their place in certain waterways throughout the State, but I do agree that there has been too much emphasis on trout in time gone by. I do however believe that things are starting to turn around.
The genetics in our trout stocks are crap. The hatcheries keep breeding rubbish, because they don't use any decent brood stock. As for natives, well, brood stock with great genetics aplenty are within arm's reach...and they aren't stocked as much as trout? Why is that? Is it expense? Are they more difficult to breed? Doesn't make a great deal of sense really...but maybe that explains why people have that "attitude" towards trout.
Is there a reason cod, yellas, bass, and trout can't live together in the same waterway? Seems to work quite well in Eildon (don't think there's bass in there though). Can't understand why we can't get the best of all worlds!
Im not an aquaculturist but my understanding is that native fish growth rates are much lower than trout..
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Wed May 13, 2015 3:16 pm

ducky wrote:bring on the freshwater natives, bass/yellowbelly/cod. although have no issue with trout in the rivers/streams where the natives don't thrive.
That's right ducky, I agree.. Down here in Tassie we don't have the native species that the mainland has... The only reasonable size native fish is the blackfish, the rest are galaixa's and other small natives and are all protected species (excluding Blackfish) so I'm quite happy that this state has trout in it. I wouldn't mind if they rid the state of trout and introduced Callop, Aust. bass, silver perch and even Murray cod.. Would suit me fine, but it's never going to happen. So I'll stick with the trout fishing.

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed May 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Are you allowed to stock private waterways like farm dams with whatever you like or are there restrictions on filling them with golden perch and Marray cod?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Other Species”