Soft plastics

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Soft plastics

Post by mazman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:42 pm

hi all i bought some soft plastics for trout a while ago but haven't used and was after some tips for using them in lakes or rivers (when they open). any advice for redfin would be great to.
also are there any colours i should get/avoid

Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Soft plastics

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:47 pm

mazman wrote: also are there any colours i should get/avoid

you should have avoided every color you bought. :tongue:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

mazman

Post by mazman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:50 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
mazman wrote: also are there any colours i should get/avoid

you should have avoided every color you bought. :tongue:
:wall: :wall: :wall: :lolf:

robbiefishing

Post by robbiefishing » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:46 pm

G'day Mazman, what sort did you buy? I always work on the rule of thumb.....Bright colours for redfin, natural dark colours for trout. This is not always the case but is a good starting point.
There are a lot of different plastics around. For trout I like a smaller plastic around 2 inches or less. There are a lot of natural coloured insect looking plastics around these days, like the strike tiger 1" nymph which is deadly on trout. Berkly and Atomic have some pretty crazy looking insect style plastics too.
This is a small brown trout caught on a dark natural coloured small strike tiger nymph.
For redfin, any kind of bright curl tail grub or minnow around 2-3 inches will do the job. As long as it wiggles in the water redfin will be attracted and a bright colour will help attract more fish. Damiki, strike tiger and Z-man all have 3inch curl tail grubs that I have had a lot of success with!!
Here is a nice redfin my best mate caught on a Damiki D-grub a few months back. The D-grub is a 3inch curl tail grub and this is a reasonably vibrantly coloured plastic. I hope this helps you out a bit mate.

robbiefishing

Post by robbiefishing » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:48 pm

I just found this one too. Not a huge fish, but look at that brightly coloured nuckelball jighead and plastic!!! Reddies love bright colours.

mazman

Post by mazman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:46 pm

i have 4" minnows (natural) and 3" minnow curl tail (natural). would the 3" work well on larger rivers and how should i fish it.

robbiefishing

Post by robbiefishing » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Hey mate this time of the year when the redfin are pretty slow I would downsize your jighead to the lightest you can get away with to allow for dead slow movement of the plastic. For trout I would do something similar but use as natural a colour as you have.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:52 am

mazman wrote:hi all i bought some soft plastics for trout a while ago but haven't used and was after some tips for using them in lakes or rivers (when they open). any advice for redfin would be great to.

Depending on location and time of year, I have caught trout on blue, green, purple, black, white, red, pink, yellow, orange, gold and silver coloured lures.

robbiefishing

Post by robbiefishing » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:25 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
mazman wrote:hi all i bought some soft plastics for trout a while ago but haven't used and was after some tips for using them in lakes or rivers (when they open). any advice for redfin would be great to.

Depending on location and time of year, I have caught trout on blue, green, purple, black, white, red, pink, yellow, orange, gold and silver coloured lures.
It might have been easier to list the colours you "havent" caught fish on!! LOL
I fully agree though, different retrieve speeds and different colours work better at different times of the year.

mazman

Post by mazman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:27 pm

so would be best just to try them in different places with different retrieves untill they work

Return to “Other Species”