Lake Purrumbete trip

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Lake Purrumbete trip

Post by Redhunter » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:15 pm

G'day folks!
Have come back from spending the week at Purrumbete, chasing that elusive 10lb plus brown trout once again. It was yet another frustrating trip, but very enjoyable all the same. My method was trolling, both flat-lining and down-rigging. Over the time I landed a coupla small reddies, along with one that was close to 30cms, and 6 salmon which were all pan-size. I kept 2 for a feed and threw the rest back to put on some kilos. My down riggers set at 60-80ft, and fish were often coming up for a look, but there was nothing I could do to excite them enough to strike. I could see them on my sounder. I tried sharp turns, figure 8's, speeding up, slowing down, electric motor, petrol motor, but no joy. Lures used which were used flat-lining at first and last light, and trolled behind ford fenders or cowbells outside of these times were tassy devils in various sizes and colours, rapala xr6 & 10's, daiwa double-clutch 75's, and flies.
The locals were mainly focusing on the reddies, catching anywhere from 10-70 a sesh, morning and arvo. The fish were all quite small on average with mine being the biggest I saw for the week, which goes to show how heavily populated with stunted reddies this place is. Main bait used by these fellas were live minnows caught from local Lake Bullen Merri. Over the week there was one brown landed that went 2.8 or 2.9kg, but no other trout seen. Surface activity on the lake was very scarce all week. Water surface temp was 15.5 to 15.8 degrees.
That 10lb plus monster brown keeps eluding me, but I will be back again soon and continue the hunt...
Cheers,
Redhunter

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Lake Purrumbete trip

Post by Nude up » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:19 pm

I bet it was cold there it has been cold and wet here.bad luck redhunter

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:54 pm

A couple of the nights and mornings were rather "fresh" to say the least, but the days were very bearable. It's a beautiful place down there. The winter months when anglers brave the conditions during all-nighters watching live bullheads under floats, fishing for that once-in-a-lifetime trophy trout, can certainly sort out the men from the boys...so-to-speak. Geez that area can get cold...
It was interesting to note the minnow populations seemed to be making a return to Purrumbete again. Since the drought broke the numbers seemed to have dropped right back, but it looks although things are on the improve which is positive news for the lake.

robbo101

Post by robbo101 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Don't let it get you down! I have fished purrembete several times in the last 2 months.
Just like yourself I found it hard work, I came close to landing a monster about a month ago, got it to the boat and was genuinely surprised at the size, would love to say it was 4kg...! but just as I was F&^%$!* around getting the net it jumped and spat the hooks, fair to say I was completely shattered! but is has given me hope, they are there!!!!
Just for those interested it was caught flat line on a duel depth taste in an orange and white pattern about 400mm behind a set of bright orange ford fenders.
All the salmon I have caught have been between 20-25m deep on the rigger. Most have taken a pink tassie with a dodger or flasher in front.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:41 pm

Redhunter wrote:..............................................................................................................
That 10lb plus monster brown keeps eluding me, but I will be back again soon and continue the hunt...
Cheers,
Redhunter
I have no doubt you will be like me and others...whilst I don't partake in week long ventures...at the end of a trip that I have not achieved much success, I am already planning for the next escapade! So what size is your current PB anyway.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:52 pm

Without doubt there will be more trips to the crater lakes coming up over the next few months, in the hunt for that big buck brown. They will only be weekenders though. Purrumbete and Bullen Merri both hold trophy fish, no two ways about it. Hopefully in the next year or two we may also see some 10lb plus salmon getting landed as well...that would be exciting.

If the hatcheries could wake up to themselves and actually start producing fish with decent genetics, (by obtaining decent broodstock from NZ for example), as opposed to the rubbish they are currently producing, maybe the fish wouldn't die after a year or 2 after release, and the chances of seeing fish nudging 20lb would be a realistic thing once again just like it was back in the 60's and 70's. Us licence holders are paying for some dud imbred stockings of fish imo.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:49 pm

Nice work red hunter, and good luck on cracking that 10lb mark.
is there a need for a down rigger fishing these lakes over winter? hoping to ge out there with the yak over winter, same reason as you, but i don't have a down rigger and probably won't for quite some time.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:44 pm

mazman wrote:Nice work red hunter, and good luck on cracking that 10lb mark.
is there a need for a down rigger fishing these lakes over winter? hoping to ge out there with the yak over winter, same reason as you, but i don't have a down rigger and probably won't for quite some time.

Cheers Alex
You certainly don't "need" a downrigger to fish these lakes, especially over the winter months when the fish move higher up the water column as the water cools. During the winter months the fish can feed all day long, as opposed to only having a dawn and dusk window to focus on. For trout, baitfishing with mudeyes or live gudgeon can be productive, and whitebait, glassies, or pilchards for the salmon. Flatline trolling is also an option, as to is getting amongst the weedbeds or lake edges and casting lures. Downriggers simply allow you to fish the depths of these deep lakes, that's all. In saying that, over the years I've caught more fish flatlining these lakes during the winter months, as far out as 40 odd metres of water, so it does pay to mix things up sometimes.
The best fishing method is the one that works on the day...
One thing to bare in mind is that these lakes fish very much "hot and cold". Some days you can catch 30 fish, and others you won't see any at all. Persistance is the key, as it only takes 1 big fish to make a trip, an unforgettable trip of a lifetime...
Best of luck!

Return to “Other Species”