would you do this to eat a Carp

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
malleestump

Re: would you do this to eat a Carp

Post by malleestump » Wed May 30, 2012 8:52 pm

I;ve heard other people like to hang them and bleed them,what that does to their taste I've got know idea.We know that they just cannot be filleted and grilled or battered like our ocean or native fish.I read an article some years ago where the writer claimed that carp were being sold to the fish shops as shark.Because it was found that they could not supply the amount of shark that was being sold through these fish shops.
If you are looking for the person to change your life.look in the mirror .Cheers gus

johnat24

Post by johnat24 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:52 am

malleestump wrote:I;ve heard other people like to hang them and bleed them,what that does to their taste I've got know idea.We know that they just cannot be filleted and grilled or battered like our ocean or native fish.I read an article some years ago where the writer claimed that carp were being sold to the fish shops as shark.Because it was found that they could not supply the amount of shark that was being sold through these fish shops.
There must be some really gullible peeps out there, quite apart from the size difference, what about the bones? Also the taste would be worlds apart!!

andyk

Post by andyk » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:54 pm

Is that like when people said KFC was selling rabbit?

rixter

Post by rixter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:54 am

Ive never been big on the taste of any 'fresh water' fish realy. I've tried carp in the past, to me it tasted like redfin, but with heaps of big bones.
Imo, Yuk ! , but each to their own.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:07 am

I have only eaten carp once :yucky: and i reckon it stunted my growth, :lol: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Linc

Post by Linc » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:36 am

Redfin are 1000 times better eating than carp!

Having said that, I lived in China for several years and carp was frequently on the table. When it is smothered in enough chilli, ginger, garlic, soysauce etc to kill the taste it is edible, but you could be eating anything and you wouldn't know it with all those additives to kill the carp taste.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:49 am

to me Carp is still Carp but if anyone wonts to try here's a bit of info from the ABC site

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The secret to eating carp

By Cath McAloon Tips for turning an environmental pest into a delicious dinner.

Carp deservedly have a bad name for the environmental damage they cause to Australian rivers and waterways. The introduced species competes with native fish and is thought to reduce water quality and cause erosion.

Carp also get a bad rap for their taste, with a commonly held opinion that carp taste pretty much like mud.

But according to Gippsland businessman Keith Bell - who has built a livelihood catching, processing and selling Australian carp to the world - the fish's reputation for tasting terrible is undeserved.

"Everybody says they live in the mud, they taste like mud," says Keith Bell. But Keith says that's not true and the 'muddy' taste associated with carp can be avoided.

"The first thing that is so important is you've got to have respect for the fish, so we don't want the fish to be in the water and so if we want to use it as a food source we've got to understand that fact that you've got to look after it."

He says freshly caught carp need to come straight out of the water and go onto ice immediately.

"If that isn't adhered to that's where that muddy taste comes from. The muddy taste is actually the histamines within the fish. As the body temperature rises through stress the histamine levels get going, it gets into the capillaries of the flesh and 'hey presto' you've got that muddy taste.

"So when we catch fish now the fish go straight out of the water and straight into ice slurry, keeping that body temperature down is the most critical part. What that does is it also takes the blood from over the rib cage and over the shoulders and puts it into the bloodline which is the bit with all the bones in it, that's the bit that we don't eat."

Keith travels around Australia giving demonstrations on preparing and cooking carp. He shows participants how to remove just the fillet of flesh from over the carp's rib cage.

"You end up with a piece of fillet off a three kilogram fish that's about the size of two slices of bread."

To cook the carp fillet Keith recommends a simple approach.

"We don't add any flavourings. All we do is, we just do what grandma did. We get that piece of fillet and we put it in a bag with a bit of flour and salt and pepper and then we get the frying pan out and we just put a little bit of butter and a little bit of oil in a frying pan and then we just pan fry it. That's as good a way to cook it as any."

Keith says it makes carp filled pan fried makes for a pleasant, subtle tasting dish.

If only more Australians could get a taste for carp and take up carp fishing as a pursuit, it might go some way to solving a major environmental problem, says Keith.

"It would help. There's no two ways about it. It's not going to be the answer, there is no one magic bullet to answer this problem. But having people having a different appreciation of it and an awareness of it would be a good start.

"It wasn't the native fish in Australia and so people got used to eating black bream, yellow eye mullet, maybe some perch, or some cod, depending on which part of Australia you came from. These things (carp) come in and they're foreign, they have a lot more bones in them and they just got such a bad reputation right at the start that people were just put off them and perception is really a bad thing.

"It's my generation that really failed badly (in perpetuating the perception of carp) and now we just pass it on to the next generation and the next generation because Dad said so."

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/201 ... 407056.htm
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Boza

Post by Boza » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:25 pm

I come from eastern europe I have lived in australia since I was 7 over all the years I have been here 23 in total my parents and family still go crazy for carp they reckon it's an amazing tasting fish.

I personally don't eat them there is way better stuff snapper trout reddies all the saltwater bread and butter species shark etc...

I keep telling them to try it but no way all they want is carp and occasionally trout and reddies. My mum eats snapper at least old man no way I keep telling him if you want a nice fresh water fish eat some fresh water barra yum
Good Things Come To Those Who Bait

Oldmanriver

Post by Oldmanriver » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:17 pm

What is the point in eating anything, let alone mud sucking carp if you have to totally disguise its taste :?: :roll: smh
Cheers oldmanriver (John)

The best things in life you just have to BAIT for ;) :)
My missus ran away with my best fishing buddy... Geez I miss him!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:03 am

I was chatting with my better halfs grandfather who is old school Hungarian and he could not possibly believe we dont' eat carp, apparently it's all about how you cook it. I started to disagree then figured teh 95 year old dude who'd been fishing for 80 years probably knew better.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Other Species”