Interesting question posed to some teens on fishing......

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Interesting question posed to some teens on fishing......

Post by ChrisD » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:48 pm

I was having a discussion with my nephew and his mates today asking when they were going to pick up rod and do some fishing, and the answer surprised me a bit.
They asked what was the point - they don't have boats and and all the good fishing spots are too far away and unreachable for teens etc.
After a little more discussion I realised that it was reading fishing magazines and watching the fishing shows on TV that were giving that idea. And I can see their point.
How often do these media outlets promoting the sport, fish in the places that everyone are out of reach. They always seem to be out on a boat, off in NT or fishing for monster fish, marlin, barra or off overseas somewhere. Maybe it is time for some consideration to be given by the promotors of fishing to fishing the local waterways and shorelines, where public transport or walking can get you too. Seeing the high end of the game is impressive, but maybe a more balanced apporach needs to be considered. Not everyone has a boat, or can afford to fly all over the country to fish.
Just a thought........
Anyway, I pointed them at this site for advise and tips, lined them up with a few placed to try, and they seemed keen to dust of the rods and give it a try. :reel:

Taleb

Re: Interesting question posed to some teens on fishing.....

Post by Taleb » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:15 pm

I completely understand what your talking about. The problem is that all the good fishing spots require adults taking us there and that I can't find a local waterway that isn't polluted and actually has fish in it. And as I've read, as soon as these spots are stocked they are quickly emptied out by greedy fishermen who don't care about anyone but themselves. I want to at least know that I have a chance to catch something when i go somewhere or at least know that others have been getting some action. Even though, I am still persisting and trying to catch my first fish. It's not only me (dad and brother) but I know how good it's gonna feel when I get it and the satisfaction I will get. It's also a learning journey because fishermen really have to do their research.

Best Regards

Taleb

:wall: :admin: :set1_fishing: :cussing: :r :woohoo: :super:

Beno

Post by Beno » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:35 pm

This is exactly why I started Benosfishingadventures, Easy fishing for everyone. I want to show people you don't always have to have the expensive gear to catch a fish! I wan't to show the average angler whether it is a young child, teen, adult, elderly an average day out on Victorian waters landbased and boating. I hope one day I can get enough sponsors and hopefully bring a show to the TV screen that outlines what fishing is all about a fun educational hobby! :thumbsup:

Cheers Beno
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

j.dammo

Post by j.dammo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:59 am

Well you can always join a Fishing club. That's what I did, none of my mates like to fish so I joined a club.
I've learned many new fishing spots, techniques and also have some one to fish with.
It's worth a try, and it's for everyone.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:47 am

ChrisD wrote:I was having a discussion with my nephew and his mates today asking when they were going to pick up rod and do some fishing, and the answer surprised me a bit.
They asked what was the point - they don't have boats and and all the good fishing spots are too far away and unreachable for teens etc.
After a little more discussion I realised that it was reading fishing magazines and watching the fishing shows on TV that were giving that idea. And I can see their point.
How often do these media outlets promoting the sport, fish in the places that everyone are out of reach. They always seem to be out on a boat, off in NT or fishing for monster fish, marlin, barra or off overseas somewhere. Maybe it is time for some consideration to be given by the promotors of fishing to fishing the local waterways and shorelines, where public transport or walking can get you too. Seeing the high end of the game is impressive, but maybe a more balanced apporach needs to be considered. Not everyone has a boat, or can afford to fly all over the country to fish.
Just a thought........
Anyway, I pointed them at this site for advise and tips, lined them up with a few placed to try, and they seemed keen to dust of the rods and give it a try. :reel:
Hey Chris, where is your Nephew based..?
Carl..

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:40 am

They are out in the north eastern suburbs, so they plan to hit the Yarra from about Eltham into the city for a start.
Used to be my old haunts as well, accessable via the train and a walk, and the fishing is not bad.

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:17 am

Agreed with everyone's post. If we can get the teens to spend 4-6 hrs fishing instead of running around and causing havocs, then society will be much better off.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:41 am

Local city side fishing spots around melb e.g "Yarra" is a dirty & mostly polluted water way , everytime i vist the Yarra of late its full of rubbish lined banks etc . i guess this makes not for good TV fishing programing , watching presenters fishing in rubbish lined banks of the Yarra etc .

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:27 am

In my opinion, you will not be able to get your nephew and/or his mates hocked to any kind of sport including fishing without they try some small steps first, then they achieve some easy success, then they gradually will start get into the depth of it; and also I’d say not everyone has the passion for fishing
You can first take them first to places that they can get easy catches some fish, like trout farm or salmon farm, where they can enjoy their time there without costing them much of money or time, or without buying any gears, and when they like it, you can take it further I guess.

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi Andoki - the point was not getting them to take those first steps it was that they had the perception that without a boat or travelling far afield there was little point trying.

My memory says that "back in the day" Rex Hunt used to balance his show out. He'd get out on the boat, or after Barra, but then be found on a pier around PPB or WP, or on a river bank, or bankside at Elidon.
Just reminds everyone that fish can be found in most streches of water, and you don't need a boat or have to hunt up big Barra or Marlin. Fun, and a feed, can be had fishing for smaller varities, bream, flathead, trout, redfin etc, etc, in "reachable" land based locations. And even hunting up a monster carp can be fun...and benefical to the environment.

Return to “Other Species”