Post by Brett » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:53 pm

Nuscani wrote:CARP - The most popular freshwater table fish in the world

If you cant beat them, eat them

Thanks, think I'll stick to beating them as you suggest :victory:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Carp - The most popular freshwater table fish in the world

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:02 pm

To be honest, i have no idea why carp here in Australia stinks like sh**.

When i was a kid i used to target carp and they dont stink. They smell like tilapia. They have some slime but overall they were OK. No bad smell at all.

All fresh water fish smell a bit but even my dog refused to eat properly prepared and cooked carp caught from gardiners creek.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:03 pm

Brett wrote:
Nuscani wrote:CARP - The most popular freshwater table fish in the world

If you cant beat them, eat them

Thanks, think I'll stick to beating them as you suggest :victory:
IF YOU CANT EAT THEM, BEAT THEM!! :rofl:

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:04 pm

rb85 wrote:Like any destructive Pest they need to be rid of by any means that won't further damage the environment and other fish stocks. If the Herpes virus works without causing further problems for natives such as lower oxygen levels or the transfer of the virus great. Who cares if they end up in landfill, someones garden, dinner plate or rotting on the bank.

As kids we found many great ways to dispatch of carp from flattening them on the highway to soda bombs and firecrackers.
I am hoping they find a way to clean up massive amount of dead fish as it's been suggested carp would not float at all after they are dead. So, cleaning them quickly would be a big challenge.
Regarding the transfer of the virus to other species; unlike influenza, herpes virus is not promiscuous so it is very very unlikely it would infect humans. It would however infect closely related species but as herpes virus being a large DNA virus this is very unlikely too in the foreseeable future. But I still have my reservations about this. I guess we will wait and see.
I don't know if there are many Koi enthusiasts in Australia but they will get infected by this virus.
If they go ahead with the virus, the numbers will plummet and hopefully the natives will thrive again but some of the carp will survive no matter what!
Last edited by efendy on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HyperX

Post by HyperX » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:06 pm

just bring a shovel when u go fishing and bury the fish. its does the same thing as leaving it on the ground but with better visuals.
But you gotta feel bad for these "pests" like carp, rabbit and foxes who where introduced by the stupid morons and after adapting to their new home, get the pest stamp and have their lives proactively hunted. They are a problem but still, gotta feel somewhat responsible for their misery

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:16 pm

HyperX wrote:just bring a shovel when u go fishing and bury the fish. its does the same thing as leaving it on the ground but with better visuals.
But you gotta feel bad for these "pests" like carp, rabbit and foxes who where introduced by the stupid morons and after adapting to their new home, get the pest stamp and have their lives proactively hunted. They are a problem but still, gotta feel somewhat responsible for their misery
Your speaking wisdom with the introduced species mate, but with the shovel thing, I doubt many people can be bothered to bring a shovel and dig a hole to bury the carp, if people were to dig a grave and bury the carp they may as well bring a bible and hold a funeral service. Good idea though mate :thumbsup:

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:14 pm

most of the time I kill it, pop the swim bladder and return to the water. no mess, no fuss and no carp stink in my gear. most places if you leave them on the bank they get taken by foxes anyway. The whole taboo about returning dead fish to the water comes from the idea that you're returning the eggs as well. Some people won't even use them as bait for this reason. unless there's a randy male carp having wet dreams in the immediate vicinity at that very moment, i reckon this is a baseless fear. the eggs wouldn't be fully mature either, or they'd have been laid

Iirc, carp in australia are actually a hybridised variety which is a mix of "wild european" type and a strain that was bred for aquaculture, which is why they are so prolific. it would explain some of the dietary behavioural and odour differences between aussie carp and overseas ones

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:59 am

I've always wondered - when does an introduced species become "australian"
When we look at people - if your parents come from overseas and you were born here - you are Australian
But with animals and plants we don't apply the same rules. Never understood why really.

End of the day - carp are here to stay. It is a pipe dream that anything will change that. One day we may vastly reduce their numbers but total removal won't happen. It has been tried with rabbits and blackberries and we can all see how well that has gone.

The better approach is to work out how to reduce and live with them in the system.

in the meantime - they are still fun to catch on light tackle :)

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:33 am

Great recipe, thanks for sharing. Dont know about carp leather though, however i reckon id look more better wearing a leather jacket made from leather jackets haha

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:48 am

Kenle wrote:Great recipe, thanks for sharing. Dont know about carp leather though, however i reckon id look more better wearing a leather jacket made from leather jackets haha
No problem mate, yeh the Carp leather took me by surprise as well. :-D
Just shows how many uses there are for carp, so if your ever lost in the cold and a creek system is near by, you can always make a carp leather jacket :rofl:

Return to “Other Species”