St Leonards report 10th may 2014

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
hornet
Has liked: 123 times

St Leonards report 10th may 2014

Post by hornet » Sun May 11, 2014 10:50 pm

Hi guy's, thought I would contribute to the site to maybe help others, I tried out the new Mark 3 version fishing cart, it was a success and I could have taken orders from fisho's to go into full time production ! LOL ....

ok on with the report, I fished st leonards pier saturday night, it was a spur of the moment thing I virtually decided to go on the spot.

I got there about 7.30 pm, conditions where calm, I prefer choppy water but it was very calm, light wind from NNW, no surface activity present but I was hopeful.

I set up 3 whiting rods and one big cahoona penn 15kg rod, the whiting where very skittish, no smash and grab, just tap tap tap, I resorted to pulling the bait away slowly after the first bite, this seemed to be the tactic for the night, st leonards produces whiting all year round despite what is the norm, I put this to the location of st leonards and proximity to the heads and ocean.

bait was fresh pounded squid and mussels, for the big set up it was pilchards, tommy ruff fillets, squid heads.

the high light of the night was a skate caught on my catana coastal light 3 to 5 kilo, this is one of my whiting rods so after a 15 minute tussle and one sore rod arm he was next to the pier, then I thought crap I have no gaff man ! the gaff was on the fishing cart so I let out line so I could walk backwards to the cart to get the gaff, good I have the gaff now, I threw it to the lower landing and walked the skate over, I was careful to get the gaff in the side of it's mouth so gently lifted it onto the pier with no damage, a couple of pics and back in he went, by this time I had to shed some clothes I was a tad warm !

I no sooner re-baited and the big cahoona / penn set up howled, great I thought just what I needed another heavy beast without time to rest my arm ! after a lack luster fight it turned out to be a draft shark same thing again, gaff was back in the cart, had to let out line / walk backwards get the gaff throw to lower landing, these things are stupid, all they do is roll around and open there mouth wide, great another mouth gaff shot a few pics and back in he went.

in between all this action the whiting rods where getting slammed but no hook ups, all I could do is watch them bounce everywhere while I was tied up with the skate and draft shark, I baited the cahoona again and casted, walked back to my super cart to get a drink and the cahoona went off again ! crap now my arm is really sore !

Turned out to be another draft shark about the same size, same deal as before landing him like the others, pics and back in the drink.

at this stage I did not re-bait the big rod ! I concentrated on the whiting ( easier lighter quarry )

to recap the night I kept 6 whiting, released 1 skate and 2 draft sharks ... I got totally bitten off twice through the night after a solid hook up, I put this down to the toothy variety of shark, my 60 pound leader was no match, wire would have been the go but with no gaff man I was not going to attempt anything bigger.

squid activity was zero, none caught or saw anyone else catch any... some pics of the night below sorry about the quality I also need a camera man next time !

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by hornet on Mon May 12, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: St Leonards report 17th may 2014

Post by bowl » Sun May 11, 2014 10:54 pm

:victory:
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Omer
Has liked: 33 times

Post by Omer » Sun May 11, 2014 11:01 pm

Great stuff. So one arm is growing a little more muscle than the other after those fights hehe. Still a nice bag of whiting :)

Man that cart looks crazy! I need to make something like that for myself
What is meant for you, will never miss you. That which misses you was never meant for you.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun May 11, 2014 11:04 pm

Omer wrote:Great stuff. So one arm is growing a little more muscle than the other after those fights hehe. Still a nice bag of whiting :)

I still think the cart could do with more rod holders :banana: thAt caRT is :woohoo:
Last edited by bowl on Sun May 11, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

hornet

Post by hornet » Sun May 11, 2014 11:07 pm

bowl wrote:
Omer wrote:Great stuff. So one arm is growing a little more muscle than the other after those fights hehe. Still a nice bag of whiting :)

I still think the cart could with more rod holders :banana: thAt caRT is :woohoo:
Another fisho there asked me why I didn't fit a small portable BBQ to it, I said give it time it's still getting the bugs sorted out, the mark 4 will have cooking facilities ! :rofl:

Omer
Has liked: 33 times

Post by Omer » Sun May 11, 2014 11:41 pm

Cooking facilities and you're set! Portable stove and you're ready to dine in at the pier with the freshest fish possible :D
What is meant for you, will never miss you. That which misses you was never meant for you.

rogs
Has liked: 1 time

Post by rogs » Mon May 12, 2014 1:15 am

:rocking_report: :good:

cheers

rogs

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon May 12, 2014 6:09 am

Nice cart mate, very handy :thumbsup: , but isn't this report a bit premature

St Leonards report 17th may 2014

cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Misheen

Post by Misheen » Mon May 12, 2014 7:08 am

Cool cart hornet, but why don't you use the rod holders on your cart to fish from instead of laying them on the pier? I always cringe when I see people's rods laying on the pier, one minute they are there then next swoosh gone.

hornet

Post by hornet » Mon May 12, 2014 9:04 am

davek wrote:Nice cart mate, very handy :thumbsup: , but isn't this report a bit premature

St Leonards report 17th may 2014

cheers davo

Sorry now amended... :thumbsup:

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”