St Leonards report 10th may 2014

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
abzz

Re: St Leonards report 10th may 2014

Post by abzz » Mon May 12, 2014 6:57 pm

Great report mate.. Even better trolley!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon May 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Great report hornet!

Jealous of your Cart.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue May 13, 2014 12:55 pm

Those draughtboard sharks are a pain in the a@@e even bigger ones no fight and no meat on them nice whiting strange no squid I spoke with a guy at the weekend he said plenty of squid at portarlington. Do you live down that way hornet

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue May 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Nude up wrote:Those draughtboard sharks are a pain in the a@@e even bigger ones no fight and no meat on them nice whiting strange no squid I spoke with a guy at the weekend he said plenty of squid at portarlington. Do you live down that way hornet
Hi Nudie, nah mate I live in melbourne but I've been fishing st leonards regularly for the last two years

reason being I've done better there than around close to home, whiting are all year round down there and squid and salmon

oh yeh and snapper in season, the squid have been thin from my trips, just maybe they will be spasmodic at best, one night may be going off and everyone assumes wow heaps of squid !

when in reality it was one night in 10 that was good, I've checked out the boats at the ramp and they seem to do well on squid, land based is another story, if you get 2 or 3 squid for the night you've done well !

considering the grass beds around the pier squid should fish really good ? yet if you fish in a boat or yak 100 meters out from the pier the catch rate goes up markedly

yet Queenscliff has no grass beds and out fishes st Leonards squid by quite a stretch ? go figure.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue May 13, 2014 2:10 pm

I spend a fair bit of time at portarlington. mostly I fish out of my boat the odd occasion I fish land based, every time I am at queenscliff I always check out the pier they are always there 20 poles each always catching squid and you are correct no weed beds around the pier I think they are attracted to the structure, I like drifting the weed beds out the front of the cottage by the sea always do well for squid but you have to get the tides right. I have never seen anybody landbased on that section of the beach they are always on bell reef squid fishing.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”