Queenscliffe harbour 2 - 3rd Sept

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
ian_underthesea

Queenscliffe harbour 2 - 3rd Sept

Post by ian_underthesea » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:13 pm

I fished Queenscliffe for the first time on Monday with soft plastics and returned the next day after having my hook straightened by a big one.

There were several fishos there on Monday all using soft plastics in the morning but I only saw the one salmon caught which was about mid-thirties at a guess. I caught a little salmon on a pinched off worm in pumpkin seed colour that was released. In the afternoon once the tide was running out, my sp got smashed by a big fish that took a run up current and went to ground. I rushed the fight with several boats coming in/out and the hook straightened on my little jig head. Bangg

The next day, I returned with tougher hooks to do it all again with a different ending. This time, there were a lot less sp exponents but quite a few bait fishos, on of whom took a nice pinkie on blue bait pieces. Another sp fisho took a wrasse that was itself taken by a shag. The shag let it go but took it again when the fisho threw it back! Swallowed it whole and it wasn't small.

I caught a decent salmon, again on a worm and a wrasse. The wrasse went to ground the same way the fish the day before did once hooked and this makes me think it was a big wrasse that was on the day before. I gave the salmon away and threw the wrasse back when the shag wasn't looking]
Attachments
Queenscliffe salmon sml.jpg
Queenscliffe salmon sml.jpg (139.28 KiB) Viewed 1084 times

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Queenscliffe harbour 2 - 3rd Sept

Post by Raulfc7 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Nice work Ian :thumbsup:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:17 pm

:thumbsup:
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:31 pm

Nice one Ian....those wrasse are a nightmare for that...pick up the bait and bolt for their little hidey hole..

ian_underthesea

Post by ian_underthesea » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:55 pm

CarlG wrote:Nice one Ian....those wrasse are a nightmare for that...pick up the bait and bolt for their little hidey hole..
But they hit the sps so hard and fast... I had my reel on reverse and it dusted my knuckles with the hit and was in it's hole before I could do anything about it. Certainly fun and a challenge, I reckon. Will be going back to find some trevs soon :fishing:

aussie_fisho

Post by aussie_fisho » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:48 pm

Surprised you didn't catch any silver trevally, might of been those fish that busted you off, they tend to do that and they get pretty big in that area. (Worm pattern sp worm well there for em).
Here fishy fishy.......

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:11 pm

I have fished the Queenscliff Harbour area since the late 70's , I would imagine a big Sliver Trevally or one of the many winged fish
(Ray) could have been hooked ;)

ian_underthesea

Post by ian_underthesea » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:14 pm

aussie_fisho wrote:Surprised you didn't catch any silver trevally, might of been those fish that busted you off, they tend to do that and they get pretty big in that area. (Worm pattern sp worm well there for em).
Maybe that was the hook straightener?? When is the best state of the tide to target them in your experience? Forgive my prying, just super keen to put another deep bend on my flick stick between shifts. Cheers

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:02 pm

I am at queenscliff a fair bit I see most of the trevally caught in 2spots up against the fence casting towards where the old ferry used to berth and also in the basin area near the bridge. The tide needs to be going out at the fence cast towards the concrete pillars in the basin area it can be going out or coming in just needs no weed

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:03 am

great report mate, im yet to fish that area and its very tempting ..
ps - wtf is a shag????

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”