PortArlington - 5/10 - AM -

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

PortArlington - 5/10 - AM -

Post by StarrangerAU » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:02 pm

All week I had been keeping a wary eye upon the weekend weather, and on Friday night I figured I would take the punt on PortArlington. The strengthening SSE in the morning might just push some action towards the shoreline on thwestern side of the bay.

Arrived just before 5am, and made a beeline to the same postion as last time when the pinkies were biting hot.... inside the harbour, at the very end of the wooden pier leading towards the harbour entrance. After 30-40 minutes here , with no bites, I decide to move around to the bayside of the rockwall.

Buy now the sun is beginning to show, I hurry to get 3 lines out, one of which is a new 13ft graphite Shimano AeroWsve from Anaconda yestrrday. (50% off, thanks Bowl for the heads up during the week).... For a change I brought along a pack of white bait and put one of the rods out with the white bait on a running sinker with a small circle hook. A bit unorthadox, but no harm trying. Got the burley going well, attracting plenty of small fingerling sized fish.

Not a lot happens for an hour, and then bang! A rod buckles and the line peels off, heading out wide at a fair rate of knots. Tighten up the drag, a fraction and let it keep running... so long as its going for open water I know I have enough line , for now. The fish finally stops, and I get to work recovering the lost ground.... and off it goes again. The battle ends up being short ... the fish doesn't quite have the stanima and its soon close enough to start showing some colour...ahhh ha!! Snapper.!!! Happy Days.

Last time I had a sizeable Snapper on the hook I lost it during the landing, I was adament not to have a repeat experience. With nett at the ready, I brought it closer to the rocks, a wave picks it up and deposits it on a rock, recedes leaving the fish stranded.... wait, next wave, and into the nett it goes. Finally landed, and brought ashore. Lucky I had some help with that nett... a beautiful 59cm, ~5Kg Snapper would have been hard work on my own.

So there we go, a PB for LB Snapper, and my first for this season, all on the only bite for the whole morning.
IMG_8173.jpg
Caught 7.30am
Whitebait on a light running sinker rig
Burley'd hard
Attachments
IMG_8175.jpg

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: PortArlington - 5/10 - AM -

Post by rb85 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:30 pm

Well done mate nice fish to start the season.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:46 pm

Nice work dude
The smile says it all

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:50 pm

awesome landbased snapper any pinkies.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:03 pm

You look happy.
Great fish ,well done.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:26 pm

nice fish great report buddy

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:40 pm

e.welch wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:50 pm
awesome landbased snapper any pinkies.
If there were any Pinkies they weren't biting.

Only had that one bite all morning.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:52 pm

geez you must be happy you landed it or else that would have been horrid to get one bite the whole day and to lose it.

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:42 pm

StarrangerAU wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:02 pm
All week I had been keeping a wary eye upon the weekend weather, and on Friday night I figured I would take the punt on PortArlington. The strengthening SSE in the morning might just push some action towards the shoreline on thwestern side of the bay.

Arrived just before 5am, and made a beeline to the same postion as last time when the pinkies were biting hot.... inside the harbour, at the very end of the wooden pier leading towards the harbour entrance. After 30-40 minutes here , with no bites, I decide to move around to the bayside of the rockwall.

Buy now the sun is beginning to show, I hurry to get 3 lines out, one of which is a new 13ft graphite Shimano AeroWsve from Anaconda yestrrday. (50% off, thanks Bowl for the heads up during the week).... For a change I brought along a pack of white bait and put one of the rods out with the white bait on a running sinker with a small circle hook. A bit unorthadox, but no harm trying. Got the burley going well, attracting plenty of small fingerling sized fish.

Not a lot happens for an hour, and then bang! A rod buckles and the line peels off, heading out wide at a fair rate of knots. Tighten up the drag, a fraction and let it keep running... so long as its going for open water I know I have enough line , for now. The fish finally stops, and I get to work recovering the lost ground.... and off it goes again. The battle ends up being short ... the fish doesn't quite have the stanima and its soon close enough to start showing some colour...ahhh ha!! Snapper.!!! Happy Days.

Last time I had a sizeable Snapper on the hook I lost it during the landing, I was adament not to have a repeat experience. With nett at the ready, I brought it closer to the rocks, a wave picks it up and deposits it on a rock, recedes leaving the fish stranded.... wait, next wave, and into the nett it goes. Finally landed, and brought ashore. Lucky I had some help with that nett... a beautiful 59cm, ~5Kg Snapper would have been hard work on my own.

So there we go, a PB for LB Snapper, and my first for this season, all on the only bite for the whole morning.

IMG_8173.jpg

Caught 7.30am
Whitebait on a light running sinker rig
Burley'd hard
:nw: :nw: :tu:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Congrats on your PB mate!