Has liked: 72 times

Re: Who’s up for squid at st leonards Pier 2morro

Post by Lightningx » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:03 pm

Why so much fuel mate?

Snook
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Snook » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:33 pm

Cheers everyone for the support :cheers: I’m keen to get back out again to get them squid,
The weather looks ok for St Leonard’s Unless I’m reading things wrong... (could help explain a lot haha) not a lot of wind and no rain from 1am - 10am with high tide just after the sun starts to rise at 6:30am.. I believe I’m reading things ok tho....

and as for fuel..
Obviously different for everyone but takes the missus n me an 1.5 hour drive to get there, I spend $46 for a full tank and I get 2 and bit trips to st Leonard’s or almost 2 trips to Flinders pier, guess it just depends on how many times ya go out a week.

Any thoughts or opinions on the weather from 1am-10am?

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:57 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:03 pm
Why so much fuel mate?
If it wasn’t going on the car (fuel) it most definitely would be for the boat! The real heartache is the time wasted driving from point to point when I could be fishing an extra 3hrs and live next door haha!

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Snook wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:33 pm
Cheers everyone for the support :cheers: I’m keen to get back out again to get them squid,
The weather looks ok for St Leonard’s Unless I’m reading things wrong... (could help explain a lot haha) not a lot of wind and no rain from 1am - 10am with high tide just after the sun starts to rise at 6:30am.. I believe I’m reading things ok tho....

and as for fuel..
Obviously different for everyone but takes the missus n me an 1.5 hour drive to get there, I spend $46 for a full tank and I get 2 and bit trips to st Leonard’s or almost 2 trips to Flinders pier, guess it just depends on how many times ya go out a week.

Any thoughts or opinions on the weather from 1am-10am?
Hey snook,

1am to 10am puts you in position to start at the peak of low tide and get in early for the rising high tide in the morning 6ish
Winds look good too! Check the water temp as well if you can but either way as we both discovered last night! When they are on THEYRE ON! Still looking at the picture of that mammoth squid caught on float!

Hoping you catch a few if you do go tonight! I unfortunately have work :(

Enjoy!

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:11 pm

August September is the best to look for big squid.
Looks like you two are having doing it :thumbsup:
Very important to have fun!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Snook

Post by Snook » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:52 pm

Hey everyone, but if a late check-in this one, went back out again to the pier and I got 3 nice squid while the missus caught her first 1 and was a decent one to, weather was great but was only good fishing from 5am-6am then nothing,
For some reason it keeps saying my pic files are to big to upload otherwise I’d post a few snaps of the great morning,
Tried a range of squid jigs and once again the cheap servo yellow jig worked super 👍🏼
PS, went out at 1am till 10am not one bite tho, whiting don’t seem that hungry atm, tried a variety of baits but no good, still got a feed of 4 squid tho so can’t complain

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:44 pm

Nice squid mate. Enjoy the feed! :thumbsup:

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Snook wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:52 pm
Hey everyone, but if a late check-in this one, went back out again to the pier and I got 3 nice squid while the missus caught her first 1 and was a decent one to, weather was great but was only good fishing from 5am-6am then nothing,
For some reason it keeps saying my pic files are to big to upload otherwise I’d post a few snaps of the great morning,
Tried a range of squid jigs and once again the cheap servo yellow jig worked super 👍🏼
PS, went out at 1am till 10am not one bite tho, whiting don’t seem that hungry atm, tried a variety of baits but no good, still got a feed of 4 squid tho so can’t complain
Forums iffy with images like that unfortunately. If you have a mac theres a program called preview where you can resize images so you can upload them here. If not, imgur is a good image hosting site. Good job on the squid too :thumbsup:

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:14 pm

Snook wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:52 pm
Well done Snook! Persistence pays off when fishing! Try a float next time you go and hopefully you can land a mammoth squid!

Also, few squid head might land you something extraordinary!!
Can’t wait to hear what you catch on your next visit! :)

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:11 am

Way to go Snook, you not only popped your Squid Cherry, now your catching more woohoo :a_goodjob:
Great to see that you got some and your Missus got one too, and her first Squid too, woohoo Mrs Snook :a_goodjob:

Hold the phone , , , , so there's a Mrs Snook. Eerrkkkkk, hope she didn't get upset that you got home with a new car

Rick.PNG
Rick.PNG (60.14 KiB) Viewed 2005 times

Well, that won't do at all, Mrs Snook deserves a car too, hope she likes RED

Rick Mrs.PNG
Rick Mrs.PNG (58.2 KiB) Viewed 2005 times

So you guus have matching Cars to go with the matching success with the Squid, woohoo , , , , did I say woohoo already, oh yes I did. Well you can never have enough woohoo's I say

Rick Mr & Mrs.PNG
Rick Mr & Mrs.PNG (87.25 KiB) Viewed 2005 times

soulstar wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:14 pm

Well done Snook! Persistence pays off when fishing! Try a float next time you go and hopefully you can land a mammoth squid!

Also, few squid head might land you something extraordinary!!
Can’t wait to hear what you catch on your next visit! :)

And I'd second soulstar's suggestion, a float with a fish/jig could get you a Hercules Squid :-D

And a squid head, or solid squid bait on a sleeper rod for Snaps might get you a trophy Snapper, while you're Squiding.

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”