New to the area and fishing

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Fiddler

Re: New to the area and fishing

Post by Fiddler » Wed May 02, 2018 4:39 pm

azkay wrote:I'd do some research online or on the forum to make sure you got the rights rigs/setup for the species your chasing, as a rough guide, things like;
Snatchers for Whiting
2.5 - 3.5 Jigs for Squid
Light Running Sinkers for Pinkies/Snapper

The correct Rods/Reels also help - budget permitting of course..

Try to use as fresh as baits as possible;
Pippies or Tenderized Squid for Whiting
Pilchards, Squid, etc.. for Pinkies/Snapper

Look at seasons;
Whiting: Still getting a few, getting late in the season - Pinkies: Definitely worth a target, particularly at sunrise - sunset - I'm getting them at 7-8m around structure in the bay, i'd imagine it would be quite similar out that way..

You'll find lots of resources on the areas to fish as well, i just did a general search for St Leonards Whiting and the first thing that came up was the area in front of Bourke Street, you'll see a lot of boats there. Drift till you find the fish and anchor & burley if/when you do..

& you could always find some more experienced fisho's in the area or from here and shadow them out - with permission of course, or be a deckie for a few trips.. Everyone was inexperienced at one stage but i'd hate for something more serious to go wrong - & it can..

Good Luck..
Thanks Az.

I'll take that all on board (literally - I am writing it in a book that I take on board !).
I will post after my next trip out and let every one know if we have any luck - or adventures.

Cheers

Fiddler

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu May 03, 2018 11:27 am

I fish out of point Richards a lot I have a 6.5 mt boat what I do is when leaving the ramp I go between the 4 channel markers then head straight ahead to a single red stick about 700 mts away before I turn left or right on the sounder it drops away suddenly there and you will see lots of people fishing this edge. On return I just follow my out bound track I maintain my cruise speed till I hit the channel markers.

Fiddler

Post by Fiddler » Sat May 12, 2018 9:35 am

azkay wrote:I'd do some research online or on the forum to make sure you got the rights rigs/setup for the species your chasing, as a rough guide, things like;
Snatchers for Whiting
2.5 - 3.5 Jigs for Squid
Light Running Sinkers for Pinkies/Snapper

The correct Rods/Reels also help - budget permitting of course..

Try to use as fresh as baits as possible;
Pippies or Tenderized Squid for Whiting
Pilchards, Squid, etc.. for Pinkies/Snapper

Look at seasons;
Whiting: Still getting a few, getting late in the season - Pinkies: Definitely worth a target, particularly at sunrise - sunset - I'm getting them at 7-8m around structure in the bay, i'd imagine it would be quite similar out that way..

You'll find lots of resources on the areas to fish as well, i just did a general search for St Leonards Whiting and the first thing that came up was the area in front of Bourke Street, you'll see a lot of boats there. Drift till you find the fish and anchor & burley if/when you do..

& you could always find some more experienced fisho's in the area or from here and shadow them out - with permission of course, or be a deckie for a few trips.. Everyone was inexperienced at one stage but i'd hate for something more serious to go wrong - & it can..

Good Luck..
Thanks for this great advice. I will take that all on board.

Cheers

Fiddler

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat May 12, 2018 10:54 am

Fiddler wrote:Thanks for this. I will preserve for a while at the Point Richards as our house is only 1/2 km from there. I will make ST Leonards my next stop if I get nowhere in the meantime.

Thanks.
You must be in ramblers road or on point Richards road .5 k I am a bit further up the hill 2.1 k to the ramp. Have you tried Clifton springs. I find it a bit shallow for me so I just cruise down there from port.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”