Fishing report - Portarlington pier Sat & Sun 14&15 Oct

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
port80

Fishing report - Portarlington pier Sat & Sun 14&15 Oct

Post by port80 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi All,
I took the family camping to Portarlington on the weekend as the kids were nagging to go fishing ( poor me :-D ).
By the time we pitched the new tent and shoved in a pizza - how good is the local pizza shop! - we didn't cast the first rod until 6pm Saturday night. Somehow we managed to secure the very end of the pier as it was still rather quiet when we arrived.

My son was set on landing his first Whiting, so I had him rigged with a Whiting Snatcher and fresh mussel. It was about 8:30 when his rod started bouncing, sure enough a 41cm whiting... very happy son. I landed a flatty that was just on size not much later, I put him back. A little later I landed another flatty, large enough to keep, not large enough to bother filleting. By this stage the fiance and daughter had given up hope.

Around 9:30 the fiance had her rod bouncing with a nice 38cm flatty, finally one large enough to eat. I then had one of my larger rods go off pretty hard. I pulled in Port Jackson around 53cm gill to tip (estimated 6kg?), not knowing much about how to prepare a shark I de barbed the hook and set him free.

We pulled up stumps around 11pm as the kids were so tired. That didn't stop them waking up with the sun first thing in the morning and dragging a couple of the rods to the beach. After a couple of coffees I joined the kids. The beach was amazing to look at but there were certainly no fish in the area. I had a crack with baits, soft plastics and metals... doughnuts. We moved on to the end of the pier, it was a little busy but enough room to get most our rods out. Nobody I asked had landed anything and we left empty handed.

Up side is we all had fun. Even better, we're booked in again for the Melb Cup long weekend :banana:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Fishing report - Portarlington pier Sat & Sun 14&15 Oct

Post by Lightningx » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Nice work mate. Sounds like you all had a great fun weekend! That’s what it’s all about :thumbsup:

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:32 pm

How was the rockwall fishing port80? ... it's long enough for a mob of anglers ! it should have produced something ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

port80

Post by port80 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Sorry I said pier and meant to say rockwall. We were at the very end of it. Not much action it looked

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:10 pm

Atleast you got a few fish

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:11 pm

It is very shallow at the caravan park beach, during the day no good but the whiting do come in on an evening.the american at the pizza shop loves his chilli

port80

Post by port80 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:28 pm

Cheers for the tip Nude up.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”