St Leonards 9/4/2016

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

St Leonards 9/4/2016

Post by Trumpeter » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:03 pm

Hi All

Fished a very early and insane (according to my wife) 3.30am tide change at St Leonards on Saturday in awesome conditions with a light westerly wind blowing and a lovely mild temperature. Autumn is the best time for fishing IMO. I went to the same location that did I well at Easter but this time the action was slow at first. It was a really dark and a bit of a spooky night to be out by myself, something large splashed near the boat while I was motoring out and I just hoped it was a seal or dolphin. I found the unlit channel marker I wanted with my torch, dropped the anchor and the berley pot, clipped light sticks onto the rod tips, dropped the baits down and waited for the first bite, and waited, and waited, checked the baits, nothing, put fresh baits on a few times and then an hour and several cups of black coffee later bang, it was on for young and old. The 'ting came on fast and after I'd landed four I hooked a Ray which proceeded to wrap all my lines together, I managed to get it up alongside and save my most of the line but once I cut it free I had to tie on all new rigs. A bit of a set back right in the middle of things and because it was a little slow at the beginning I'd had three rods out which made a nightmare tangle of braid, mono and circle hooks. Also the lice were really bad and swarmed over any baits on the bottom and in the berley pot so I had to crank them up a metre or so. Once I'd organized myself again I fished with just the two rods and ended up with eleven good sized KGW, the largest at 40cm and a nice Flattie a little longer. Once the sun was up the bite slowed right down and there were dudes that had arrived and practically anchored in my berley trail so I pulled the pick and went after some Calamari. The westerly really picked up for a while and with the tide running out It was a pretty quick drift, the 3.5 Sephias must have almost been surfing but it didn't distract the squid and I landed 5 pretty quickly with one big pumper at around 30cm+ hood size. I could've easily taken my limit with the Cala's but had more then enough for my family and for future bait so headed back in content. :-D

Sorry about the crappy pics from my crappy phone:

Dark night

Awesome sunrise

Waiting..

Drifting for squid

The morning's catch

The ramp jetty

And the good ship Lollipop...
:cheers:
Last edited by Trumpeter on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: St Leonards 9/4/2016

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:12 pm

Great report! You have a nice feed there mate :thumbsup:

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Post by Tackleberry » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:14 am

Great report and i love your good ship Lollipop similar to what i have ordered but mine will be smaller

Trumpeter

Post by Trumpeter » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:20 am

Didn't you get the bluefin with the honda on the back? - looked like a good boat.

DR.SPESH

Post by DR.SPESH » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:20 am

Nice catch.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:28 am

Marker poles that don't have lights are a pain. Very neat and tidy unit you have there. Nice bag

Trumpeter

Post by Trumpeter » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:46 am

Yeah the poles only have reflectors which don't help much if you're not driving with a spotty or torch, good to fish near in the dark though as most boats that know give them a wide berth.

Trumpeter

Post by Trumpeter » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:50 am

Lightningx wrote:Great report! You have a nice feed there mate :thumbsup:
Thanks, my wife's doing a squid stew tonight, slow cooked in red wine, tomato salsa, onions, garlic and parsely, on a bed of rice -can't wait!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:10 am

Trumpeter wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Great report! You have a nice feed there mate :thumbsup:
Thanks, my wife's doing a squid stew tonight, slow cooked in red wine, tomato salsa, onions, garlic and parsely, on a bed of rice -can't wait!
First time I have heard of a squid stew. Sounds very nice! You are a lucky man! :)

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:25 am

Awesome report and pics have you ever tried stuffed squid its bloody delicious :thumbsup:

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”