St Leonards Easter 2016

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

St Leonards Easter 2016

Post by Trumpeter » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi All

Enjoyed a very relaxing, extended 5 day break with the family for the Easter holiday down at St Leonards, only managed one trip out but it was a goodie. I hit the ramp at 4am on Saturday and it was just me and one of the local, soon to be finished up pro's. The area I wanted to fish was easy enough to find in the bright moonlight and by using the sounder, I located the eastern edge of the Coles channel where it rises up from 7 to 5m. The wind was perfect, a mild westerly around 10kts and the high tide was around 5am so it felt really promising. Upon anchoring I packed the berley cage with crushed mussels, cut pilchards and Gotcha whiting pellets, lowered it to the bottom and baited up the rods. For rigs I used running No.#1 bomb sinkers on clips and single, snelled KL 1/0 circle hooks on 70cm 15lb traces, to keep it simple. To aid in bite detection in the dark I used glow sticks on the rod tips and it wasn't long before the first rod buckled over to a nice 'ting and the glow stick was pulled under the water surface! The new 7'6" 2-4kg Ugly Stiks I purchased recently performed brilliantly and it was great fun playing these fish in the moonlight as they were quite visible. The bite was hot and my baits, consisting of live mussels, pilchard fillets and squid were getting smashed as soon as they hit the bottom, the circle hooks worked well enabling me to use two rods at once and also helping prevent the fish from swallowing them. After sunrise the bite slowed down a little and I started getting fussy releasing any 'ting under 35cm as I knew I'd be coming close to the limit. I noticed a large vessel heading over my way and thought it may have been a charter but when they didn't stop I knew it was either the cops or fisheries, it was the latter and they pulled up alongside and asked if they may come aboard and check my catch. This was the first time I've ever been boarded and the guy was very pleasant and chatty -it's good to see them at work. I reached my limit of 20 not long after their visit and then switched to one of my now very tatty, 3.0 white Sephia and picked up a Calamari straight away and then another two on consecutive casts. At this stage I hadn't moved from my original location all morning as the fishing had been so good but decided to pull up the pick and drift with the run out tide and picked up my bag limit of squid, mainly small specimens but did get one good one that ripped the braid off my reel and put up a surprisingly good fight. So the tally for the morning was 20 KGW, 10 squid and a Mackerel destined for bait and the berley pot for next time.

:cheers:
Last edited by Trumpeter on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DR.SPESH

Re: St Leonards Easter 2016

Post by DR.SPESH » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:47 pm

Jealous bud. Well done, sounds like the perfect morning even got to show off ya catch to the fisheries.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:03 pm

Wow what an awesome effort good old St. Leonards seems its still firing. :good:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:32 pm

Top report mate! You killed it :thumbsup:

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:57 pm

Well done mate :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:00 pm

I love St. Leonards ! always something around..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:41 pm

Great report amazing whiting have been on the go all year around the bellarine. I can't believe you didn't get any flathead

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:15 pm

Yeah not a single flatty and am happy to report for once no swarm of Pinkies. The only by-catch was the Mackerel and a large Gurnard Perch which I cut free to avoid being stung.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:53 pm

Nice catch mate.... Good to see fisheries at work as well

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:32 pm

Trumpeter wrote:Yeah not a single flatty and am happy to report for once no swarm of Pinkies. The only by-catch was the Mackerel and a large Gurnard Perch which I cut free to avoid being stung.
I have been stung once by a gurnard not something I would like happen again I give them plenty of respect and I flick them off carefully

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”