St Leonards Aust Day long w/end

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

St Leonards Aust Day long w/end

Post by Trumpeter » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:17 pm

Hi all,
Spent the "long weekend" at St Leonards and again the wind blew it's guts out for most of the time so only managed to do one trip on Sunday morning. I left the ramp at around 6am with the conditions not the greatest to be in an open boat with a sloppy sea, drizzle and a moderate south westerly. Full wet weather gear including sea boots were the order of the day but within a couple of hours the rain dried up and the wind eased a little. Fished the usual marks for KGW but only managed a single keeper around 35cm with many just size and under released. Had another memorable battle with what I presume was an Eagle ray on 12lb line and a 1-4kg, 7ft Ugly Stik. I managed to wrestle the thing back to underneath the boat after some impressive screaming runs but never got to see it before the line popped. Those little Mustad size 6 long bait-holders are a strong hook! There are swarms of Chinaman Leatherjackets around atm and the usual 20-25cm Pinkies so getting a bait past them was hard and after many moves swapped the Paternoster rigs for squid jigs and went after some good old reliable Calamari. Drifting in 5m with the wind blowing against the tide worked well using white, 3.5 Sephias and it wasn't long before I had enough for a couple of good feeds and some quality bait for next time.
:cheers:

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Re: St Leonards Aust Day long w/end

Post by Tackleberry » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:09 am

:a_goodjob:

ThomasG

Post by ThomasG » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:34 am

Good read, I think you did really good considering the conditions.

Have you ever considered Iki Jimi the squid as you catch them ? keeps everything a lot cleaner.

Cheers.....ThomasG

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:48 pm

Nice catch!!! :)

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:41 pm

:thumbsup: nice catch!