Quick report St Leonards

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Quick report St Leonards

Post by 4liters » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:36 am

Pretty much sums up why I very quickly moved away from piers after taking up fishing, at least you got some fish though.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

jsonh

Post by jsonh » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:29 am

Great report mate, which way did you fish off the pier? I'm keen to give it a Crack sometime this week.

Also what baits?

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:12 pm

jsonh wrote:Great report mate, which way did you fish off the pier? I'm keen to give it a Crack sometime this week.

Also what baits?
I usually fish facing Portarlington or facing frankston ( depending on the crowd ) if you fish facing frankston be prepared to lose some rigs.

If they are on the chew I don't mind losing rigs as long as I'm catch fish, I use fresh aero squid but pound it lightly with a kitchen mallet before baiting up ( releases the scent )

Rigs are either paternoster or running sinker depending on the bottom, incoming tide seems best, expect banjo's when the tide slacks.

I do all nighters, I don't fish in the day so your results may vary from mine, I find night time peaceful, no divers,no swimmers,no boats,no jet ski's, no one asking what did you catch every 5 minutes, no activity to make the ting wary, and squid bite better at night when I target them...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:43 pm

Thought I'd add to this thread instead of starting another, fished st leonards Sat night with a buddy, very quiet night.

Only three XOS size whiting (35cm) and one huge squid ! (38cm hood) she completely pulled under a float the size of a tennis ball out of sight and bit the whiting I had for bait in half !

At least we caught something, spoke to a local and she told me one night last week all hell broke lose, every person on the pier was into a huge school of squid that moved in, they hung around for 2 hours and took any thing thrown at them !

I believe her because the concrete pier is totally covered in black ink at the moment ...

This local and her husband took home 20 and she said they could have taken heaps more...

Gotta be there at the right time ! helps if you live there and fish the place every night !
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:55 pm

That's a nice size squid mate :thumbsup: bad luck you weren't there on that night!

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”