St Leonards Pier

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
fishsticks

St Leonards Pier

Post by fishsticks » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:04 pm

so i have been fishing this area alot recently and it has been giving good results.

The squid seem to always be hiding around this pier and some at good sizes i think the biggest and first squid i got had a hood of 45 cm's in length. Plenty of old fisherman telling us that there were no squid around and that we wasted our time coming from melbourne, only to have us smash 5 squid in about 5 minutes...the disbelief on their faces was amazing. We usually head up at night and arrive at about 10pm, fish through the night to get some fresh squiddies as bait and then we head out from Beachlea boat hire just the road

Image Image

I also caught a nice 42cm salmon on a 4" Gulp Fry in green pumpkinseed. but my iphone has crapped its pants and i cant get the photo off it.

Anyways we headed out on the boat for a few hours with our fresh bait and aimed to hook up a few sharks as it is winter and not really looking for red although i would always take the by catch. We had quite some success as it seems there are always a good amount of carpet sharks around, i caught one at about 90 cm's and catch and release of course and my mate caught a massive one probably about a meter and a half in length, we were gonna stay away from its teeth as they were pretty big. :shark:

we also got this nice juvenile port jackson which we thought was a beautiful looking fish and we of course let him go.

many of flatties were caught but of course being PPB they were of no real size.
In every species of fish I’ve angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn’t, much of the thrill of angling would be gone. –Ray Bergman

PatRollo

Re: St Leonards Pier

Post by PatRollo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:18 pm

Nice work. I've been to st leanoards a few times in the past month with no luck at all. What jiggs were you using? Did you only go at night?

Also how much is the boat hire?

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:31 pm

PatRollo wrote:Nice work. I've been to st leanoards a few times in the past month with no luck at all. What jiggs were you using? Did you only go at night?

Also how much is the boat hire?
i am unsure about the jigs as they are my mates and he has about 50 of them in a plano box. the best colours were dark browns and a purple and pink hard body with no netting was killing it. Just walk along the pier and look for the inkiest spots. chances are if theres ink in that area the persons been fishing that area. yes we get there at about 10-11pm and fish through till about 7am. squid are usually on around the 10-11pm mark.

the boat hire is pretty cheap. its 60 dollars for the first 2 hours and 20 dollars every hour after that. The guy that runs the place though is very good and if you have a low catch or not much action he usually just charges 80 dollars for the 8 hours, this has happened twice for me as i usually catch enough flatties for a feed and not much else. He runs a good buisness and i would be happy to spend full prices for his service.

hope that helps mate
In every species of fish I’ve angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn’t, much of the thrill of angling would be gone. –Ray Bergman

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:27 pm

also i just remembered, on a good night you will be able to see the squid racing around looking for food, alot of the time you can drop your jig in a few meters away and they will turn around and nail it. just let your eyes get used to the dar and youll start seeing them

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:25 pm

fishsticks wrote:also i just remembered, on a good night you will be able to see the squid racing around looking for food, alot of the time you can drop your jig in a few meters away and they will turn around and nail it. just let your eyes get used to the dar and youll start seeing them
Thanks Heaps Fishticks for all the tips and pointers. Will look at giving st. Leonards a go soon. Very much appreciated by all novice anglers :!: :!:

:cheers: :thumbsup: :D

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:30 pm

VooDooMagician wrote:
fishsticks wrote:also i just remembered, on a good night you will be able to see the squid racing around looking for food, alot of the time you can drop your jig in a few meters away and they will turn around and nail it. just let your eyes get used to the dar and youll start seeing them
Thanks Heaps Fishticks for all the tips and pointers. Will look at giving st. Leonards a go soon. Very much appreciated by all novice anglers :!: :!:

:cheers: :thumbsup: :D
No problem Voodoo. willing to give plenty of info on where i fish what i use and what times. As selfish as i could be, i respect that once we're all dead, who will pass on this info to other generations? plus i hate stiff fishos...they are the worst type.

Enjoy mate and hope you smash em!!! :woohoo: :cheers:

PatRollo

Post by PatRollo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks for the help fishsticks, definitely change my approach. Ive had a favorite jigg that never lets me down but lost it recently! Time to go shopping

Give the soft plastics a rest for the winter and chase some squid and sharks I think!

georged2

Post by georged2 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:49 pm

I tried there last week in my boat, nothing, so well done Fishsticks
Early to bed, Early to rise, Fish all day, Tell big lies

snapperslayer

Post by snapperslayer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Thank you so much mate,

I was looking for a boat hire too at the Clifton springs. Now I have options hehe. Are there any restrictions as some others have. Only drive the boat after sunrise e.t.c Assuming you already did a night out so I kinda answered my own questions lol

Cheers

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:09 pm

snapperslayer wrote:Thank you so much mate,

I was looking for a boat hire too at the Clifton springs. Now I have options hehe. Are there any restrictions as some others have. Only drive the boat after sunrise e.t.c Assuming you already did a night out so I kinda answered my own questions lol

Cheers

There is a good boat hire in mornington as well mate, and is well run, nice boats but more expensive and stricker rules.
At Beachlee you didnt need a boat license although i think that is changing. and you are allowed to take the boat from 7 am til 6 pm usually i think. You can go 2 NM off shore but the owner usually tells you to get out deep and catch some good fish, so he never really seems worried. the only thing is there are no gps or sounders with his boats.

hope that helps mate

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”