St Leonard's report

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

St Leonard's report

Post by BIG GAV » Sun May 17, 2015 5:54 pm

With the weather in our favour we hit at Leonard's today for whiting launched at 6:30 first spot was dead quiet not even a sniff.. Hit the second spot just before 8am and the first whiting was in the bag at 36cm, shortly after that it was small flatties in plague proportions I got a few drifting soft plastics but squid was overall the most effective method for the day, we hit our last spot at 12 and the whiting came on the bite shortly after, 22 total between us.

Every boatie and his dog were at st Leonard's today. I took a heavy outfit with me in high hopes but only got one whiting and a few toadies on it (not as fun on that rod)

Despite getting stung by a flathead and myself only landing 4 keepers was a good day, two of our mates (on other, seperate boats) bagged out on whiting all over 30cm biggest today was 39. My mate came 3rd in his club comp weighing in at 3.9kg

Was hoping to land a gummy but no such luck we seen a boat close by pull in a big Ray n a big port Jackson which got my hopes up to no avail.
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Re: St Leonard's report

Post by Trumpeter » Sun May 17, 2015 8:10 pm

I was down at the ramp about the same time as you, it sure was chockers out there today!

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sun May 17, 2015 8:12 pm

We were in a white n Aqua coloured boat attached to a white ford territory.. Our mate had a red boat on a new blue hilux. But in saying that we weren't really at the ramp for too long,

How'd ur day go?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun May 17, 2015 8:20 pm

St leonards cracker place to fish.
Good job on the ting.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sun May 17, 2015 8:22 pm

Very weedy, and rather shallow was the first time I fished it from a boat, I woulda liked to hang around the channel marker a little longer in 18m but they had spots marked and were deterred by small flathead so we left.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun May 17, 2015 8:25 pm

With the number of boats out there, I'm surprised there were any whiting left! Well done mate! Would have been a great day on the water...

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sun May 17, 2015 8:27 pm

Yes and with that many boats there was sure enough some stupid füx coming too close, crossing lines.. Driving through our freakin lines... There's a whole fkn ocean but they gotta sit on ur ass cause ur pulling up a fish

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun May 17, 2015 8:35 pm

Some folk have nfi how to catch a fish, so they steal from others. I can't handle that kind of thing. Similar stories heard during snapper season. Some boaties (not real anglers) really have no idea so do their darnest to ruin the fun for others. It's not on.

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sun May 17, 2015 8:37 pm

Spot on! Half the fun is finding the fkn fish anyway! Holiday boaties do my nut in!

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Sun May 17, 2015 8:51 pm

I was out there on my Yak but I only went out to the first channel marker where it is not very deep and full of weed and rocks, first time out there, got no whiting so went in really shallow and picked up a couple of 40cm flatties on SP's. Great day to be on the water.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”