St Leonards Easter 2015

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

St Leonards Easter 2015

Post by Trumpeter » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:47 pm

The fishing was pretty good over the Easter break, once the easterly had died down I managed to get the boat out on Saturday and caught several calamari in close to shore, drifting in 4m between the ramp and the yacht club. Then armed with fresh squid went out to a bank over the Coles channel in search of Kgw. I did well in this location at Xmas but couldn't locate them this time however I managed to snag two nice flatties around 50cm each. Made the best spaghetti marinara that night with fresh flattie tails and squid, olive oil, garlic, tomato puree, parsley and half a bottle of sauvignon blanc. Sunday was just awesome, once the Easter egg hunt was over the wife set me free and this time after a quick bait gathering session, which resulted in a squid and a small cuttlefish, I headed out towards the west channel pile and dropped the anchor in 9m. Within seconds I had my first Kgw on board and the fishing was none stop, caught 6 up to 40cm, 7 leatherjackets around 30-35cm, a big Scad Mackeral and finished off with a monster Cuttlefish which took a piece of the mackerel on a no.4 long shank bait holder aimed at whiting. This thing was a beast and completely filled the bottom of a 50l tub. Not long after this the pinkie brigade moved in and smashed every bait before anything else got a chance so I decided to head in. Even though not a bumper catch by any means it was an awesome session with variety and good sized fish, and a day I'll always remember.
:cheers:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: St Leonards Easter 2015

Post by Nude up » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:17 pm

Sounds like you were busy its a good spot st Leonards plenty of options

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”