St Leonards

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
robbo101

St Leonards

Post by robbo101 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:50 pm

Epic days fishing today out from St Leonards. After a slow start and a grumpy girlfriend (due to lack of fish) we anchored up again and woweee things got hectic!
Stacks of pinkies, whiting, leatherjacket, salmon, a large banjo and half a dozen squid things were pretty good.
However I can't hep but be disappointed. After live baiting up one of the small salmon. Something took it with interest, the reel started screaming and I tighten the drag up as much as possible, it peeled line off like a fat kid chasing an ice-cream truck. As it was getting close to spooling me I put my thumb on the spool to stop it and it bent the hook and was gone bit gutted, biggest fish I have ever hooked. Pretty sure it would have been a gummy.
Cant complain too much though, better than working!

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: St Leonards

Post by bowl » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:04 pm

If st leonards was closer to me id fish ot every day....
I would not be dissapointed..there is always next time !!!
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:10 pm

Great spot st lenoards close access to great fishing grounds bad luck on the fish

widgeon58

Post by widgeon58 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:52 am

Feel sorry for you, but think a few of us would like to know? what reel, breaking strain of and how much line was on the reel, as well as what size and style hook(s) were you using on the livey and dare I ask what brand hook?

Just to help gauge the possibly size of the elusive monster that got away.

Am always curious about what spooled me many years ago, fishing one September dawn off the Jetty at Bullock Island( Lakes Entrance) 150 yds of 12 lb mono with a pilchard fillet on a pair of ganged 2/0's. Assume it was a ray of some kind but the feeling was like "when you grab the roof rack of a moving car when on a push bike- there is no way you are going to stop it unless it wants to"

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:21 pm

Am always curious about what spooled me many years ago, fishing one September dawn off the Jetty at Bullock Island( Lakes Entrance) 150 yds of 12 lb mono with a pilchard fillet on a pair of ganged 2/0's. Assume it was a ray of some kind but the feeling was like "when you grab the roof rack of a moving car when on a push bike- there is no way you are going to stop it unless it wants to"[/quote]

I was spooled on 20lb line just around the corner from bullock island on pilchard two hook rig whatever it was run left then turned and headed to the entrance went to sunset then ping would love to know what it was .

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:33 pm

There are some huge rays around nards ! lol

I've hooked and played some for an hour or more with 50lb braid on a broom stick for a surf rod and got no where ...

I always end up losing the huge ones, or give up because of cramps..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

szero25

Post by szero25 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:11 pm

hornet wrote:There are some huge rays around nards ! lol

I've hooked and played some for an hour or more with 50lb braid on a broom stick for a surf rod and got no where ...

I always end up losing the huge ones, or give up because of cramps..
Yeah even if you lay off the drag and try and pull em in you end up loosing too much line and not being able to pull the damm thing in, fairly certain they don't even get tired. it's a nice work out until you feel like your getting dragged into the briny

robbo101

Post by robbo101 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:06 pm

hey guys,
reel was a penn 460 slammer with 30lb braid, 50lb leader, size 5 long shank think it was a mustard branded hook.
After speaking to a few people and reading comments on here it sounds likely to be a ray... it would just not stop!
prob a good thing I lost it, saved me a lot of grief!

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”