Queenscliff pier

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
edgar po wong

Queenscliff pier

Post by edgar po wong » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:03 pm

So, is there anything to catch here other than whining children and weeds ??

TrevKing

Re: Queenscliff pier

Post by TrevKing » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:00 pm

squid, trevally, toadies, rays. and a lot more if you put in time.
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

edgar po wong

Post by edgar po wong » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:13 pm

None of the above there yesterday, at least for the couple of hours we were there. To make me feel better veryone else was only catching vegetation as well.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:17 pm

they are around if you fish hard enough ;)
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

edgar po wong

Queenscliff pier

Post by edgar po wong » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 pm

I was sitting around waiting as hard as I could :)

I was there at he wrong time. Talking to the locals I found out that we should have come much earlier or later as all we would get was weeds at that time. What I didn't understand is what they were doing there at that time !
It's a beautiful place and I would be happy to catch nothing for the view alone. Ahh, the serenity... Well, except for some whining children :)

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:27 pm

lol the past two times i been there i hooked onto some big rays lol.. good fights aswell lol.. they are right .. either come early morning or late nights ;) good luck hehe
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Georgenius

Post by Georgenius » Wed May 09, 2012 8:05 am

Would be nice if they had a cheaper ferry :down:

georged2

Post by georged2 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:33 am

Head over to St Leonards, you'll catch Squid there plus other fish as well. Pretty popular spot.
Early to bed, Early to rise, Fish all day, Tell big lies

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:03 pm

edgar po wong wrote:I was sitting around waiting as hard as I could :)
i would normally say sitting waiting for long periods of time isnt really fishing as hard as you can. try different baits, rigs, spin lures and plastics while the bait soaks. remember you can use 4 rods at once and i'd say you can use 2-3 effectively, set your baits with a loose drag so you can hear your reel if something grabs it. I usually give a place an hour to an hour and a half without a bite or touch and then move. bait is food and all fish want to do is eat and spawn, if they arent taking the bait then they are probably spooked, not there or not hungry....or dont like what you are presenting to them.

put in the hard yards early and catches will increase over time
In every species of fish I’ve angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn’t, much of the thrill of angling would be gone. –Ray Bergman

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:06 pm

fishsticks wrote:
edgar po wong wrote:I was sitting around waiting as hard as I could :)
i would normally say sitting waiting for long periods of time isnt really fishing as hard as you can. try different baits, rigs, spin lures and plastics while the bait soaks. remember you can use 4 rods at once and i'd say you can use 2-3 effectively, set your baits with a loose drag so you can hear your reel if something grabs it. I usually give a place an hour to an hour and a half without a bite or touch and then move. bait is food and all fish want to do is eat and spawn, if they arent taking the bait then they are probably spooked, not there or not hungry....or dont like what you are presenting to them.

put in the hard yards early and catches will increase over time
and try using a big bait on one line and smaller baits on the other, if you get some good runs on the big bait continue to fish big baits, if your smashing whiting , flatties salmon on a small bait use that more often. trial and error will catch you the fish

hope that helps
In every species of fish I’ve angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn’t, much of the thrill of angling would be gone. –Ray Bergman

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”