Easter Saturday Corio Bay Landbased- better than PPB any day

Cunningham Pier, Limeburners Lagoon
andybuck

Easter Saturday Corio Bay Landbased- better than PPB any day

Post by andybuck » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:31 pm

Sick of the crowds and doughnuts in the bay, I made my first trip down to Geelong today to explore land based options around Geelong/Corio bay. Only had the morning off so had to cram in a few spots.

A great find while researching online last night was the Geelong Fishing Show on 94.7FM, and replayed as a podcast each week!

http://947thepulse.com/index.php?option ... am&cat=131" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://soundcloud.com/stephen-patterson-9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Loads of info about the Geelong area and east coast spots, as well as interviews with anglers from around the state/country.

Listened to last week’s episode on the way down in the car, and caught the start of the live radio show live at 8:00am as well! Between the online info (see below), and the radio show/podcast, I couldn’t have asked for a better prep!

Arrived an hour later than planned (at 08:15) straight in to Rippleside jetty with some soft plastics, for last of the outgoing tide, with a clear sky & no wind.

Started with Gulp 5 inch Jerk Shads in pumpkinseed (apparently a good colour for flathead - which was my main target for the day).

First cast and something started attacking it straight away, as I reeled in I could see lots of little nibblers, so decided to stay as there were also small schools of baitfish around - more signs of life than I'd seen in my last 5 trips to Brighton! The nippers occasionally gave quite a tug fooling me into thinking something big was having a bite, but nothing hooked up so after about an hour, and few changes of lures, and back to the pumpkinseed (as it seemed to attract way more attention, and the jerk shad caught almost no weed compared to the other plastic models I tried) I was desensitised to the persistent nips and occasional oddly timed, quite firm tug, so when half way through reeling a cast back in I felt a stronger tug, I paid no attention, and when it was still there next flick & reel, it took me few seconds to click, I yanked and was on! Just long enough to feel the tell-tale head shake and hear my drag go, and about 6-8 metres away I saw the sideways dart of what looked at least to be a 40cm-50cm flatty, (gotta love polarised sunnies) “You Beauty!” I thought… But, between my delayed reaction, the fact I hadn't noticed my drag was waaaay too loose (so it managed to pull away a bit), and probably dropping the tip of my rod due to being startled out of my morning vagueness, the line slackened a tad and with the next flick of the head I saw it shake the bait and swim away! I let out a loud expletive which I'm sure a family in a tinny 50 metres away heard through the still morning air. At least I saw the damn thing, but gutted it got off.

Filled with excitement, I stayed for another hour, with incessant ongoing nips (taking the tails & back halves off several gulps), but no more real bites.

Hopped in car and went out to Marios Bait & Tackle for some bait - bit far out the other side of town, but it’s an impressive little shop - would recommend them over BCF or Compleat Angler. Great selection of frozen baits (including some you can get loose scooped out the freezer into a newspaper cone - I assume this is the fresher stuff), great tackle supplies as well, the place was pumping with easter anglers, and the staff seemed very friendly. Good to support the locals.

Next stop was Limeburners break wall (which is next to the boat ramp on the southeast side of the bay) can be accessed from Hearne Pde via Easter Beach, or directly from Limeburners Rd off Ryrie St. NB this is NOT Limeburners Lagoon which is near Geelong Grammar on the north west side of the bay. Went to the longer wall on the right, near the 3rd or 4th light post. One other couple there fishing for gars, otherwise deserted. Loaded up a paternoster with squid strip, cast out and put my bell on, dropped the rod into pvc pipe holder jammed in the rocks, and before I could finish attaching a new plastic to my smaller rod, the bell started ringing with a few nips! “You beauty” I thought.

But alas, like Rippleside, my trip to Limeburners was to end in disappointment. Caught 2 smaller toadies on plastics (one on the same as above - 5 inch jerk shad in pumpkinseed - and another on 5 inch jerk shad nuclear chicken) and 2 toadies on my other line baited with squid strips. After 4 toadies in half an hour - I was done. Didn’t want to sit there all day catching toadies - I friggin’ hate them - so packed up.

Last stop was Griffin Gully jetty. The road down is a little tricky to find, but once down there it’s a very short walk from the carpark. Several folk out the end, but no-one catching anything. By then it was nearly midday, between tides, and very sunny with a little wind, so not ideal conditions. Just tried plastics and on the inside got lots of nips, and could see small toadies chasing as I reeled in. Cast out towards the boats - and got nuthin.

Eventually packed it in, hopped in the car, and was home in the inner eastern burbs just over an hour later.

Overall it was a great morning out, and given it takes me half an hour (or 40-45mins in traffic) to get to PPB/Brighton, I can jump on the freeway and have a line in the water in just over an hour in Corio bay. Despite the crowds on the Esplanade for a sunny saturday on a long weekend, all of the fishing spots I tried were either vacant or very un-crowded. Even though I came home empty handed, I saw more signs of fish-life in one morning than I’ve seen in multiple trips to PPB.

So for those looking for land based options within 1 hr of Melbourne (and anyone sick of the crowds at places like Brighton), give it a go. But beware the toadies.

Spots I tried & stuff I learned:

Rippleside jetty
Copy/paste into Google Maps: -38.128670, 144.357295
NB: Switch to Earth View - it’s not on the plain Map view!
Check the tide times and maybe speak to some locals to find the best time to go - it was very shallow at low tide. Easy parking next to Ripples restaurant, short stroll to the end of the jetty, and I hooked onto a really decent flatty, so they are around.
Didn’t see any useful rod-holding options, (may not have looked closely enough) so for those that want to “set and forget”, may need to bring a contraption to hold rods (or just use your hands)

Limeburners break wall:
Copy/paste into Google Maps: -38.143929, 144.385861

Drive through the boat ramp parking lot to the gravel carpark, from there it’s 5 metres to the very wide paved path on top of the wall - great if you have a wheeled trolley for your gear. The wall itself is quite high and quite steep. If you’re not very nimble, may make it hard to land a fish, as you need to scramble down to ensure they don’t dive into the strip of thick (but very soft) seaweed that runs along the waters edge. A long net or gaff may help but you won’t reach the water with it from the top of the wall without climbing down at least half way, if not further. Also, take some pvc pipe to jam between the rocks as rod holders - was glad I took mine today.

Griffins Gully jetty:
Copy/paste into Google Maps: -38.135968, 144.355662
NB: Switch to Earth View - it’s not on the plain Map view!
Access via the Esplanade, but can only see the small sign & enter the small road down to carpark if you’re travelling south on the Esplanade.
There’s some cleverly drilled holes in the jetty for rod holding (you can slot your rod handles through the holes in the deck, and they sit up perfectly!), so no need for special holders.

Marios Fresh Bait http://bit.ly/1GssfwX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Listed as “11 Noel Road Moolap” but beware - this is the back entrance that looks like a private house driveway! I nearly didn’t go in! You can enter via Portarlington Rd but I think it’s an 80km/hr zone, so they probably prefer you not to be turning right off a main rd to enter.

Links I used to get tips for my trip:

http://www.tides4fishing.com/au/victoria/geelong" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.facebook.com/FishingGeelong" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/Articl ... -Peninsula" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Old but useful info:
http://www.fishnet.com.au/default.aspx? ... cleId=6638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Things i’ve learned as a noob using plastics for flathead (started a few weeks ago on holidays in Noosa - caught a few in the Weyba river sand flats):
The “double flick” is hard to do well. Takes a while to master I still can’t do it right!
Reel in as slow as you can. It’s very easy to wind too quickly, I’ve caught 4 flattys in the last month, and all attacked the lure when I consciously slowed my retrieve to the slowest possible speed, with intermittent flick/dive.
If one type of plastic isn’t working after half an hour, try a different colour/type, it’s amazing how one will seem to work when others won’t
Use Google to search for what works in the are you’re fishing
Use a braid mainline and a long mono leader - the braid allows you to feel every bump.
I’m using around 2 metres of 8 pound mono leader on 10 pound braid.
Join the mono and braid together using an Albright knot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5xS7-ex7ws" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Which is actually very fidgety with real line instead of string)
Here’s another option:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDsmsth3qrE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Use a light rod reel (e.g. 2500-3000 reel, and a 6-7 foot, 2-4kg rod
Use the lightest jighead that you can still cast - good to have a selection, I was using 1/6th to 1/8th oz on 1 and 1/0 hooks. (didn't want to use any smaller to avoid hooking up smaller fish)
You’re going to do a lot of casting, you don’t want heavy gear or your arms will be wrecked in no time!
If you hook a flathead, you may not notice! As soon as you’re on, keep some tension on the line and don’t have your drag too loose! They are renowned for flicking their heads side to side and throwing hooks out, and there’s nothing more upsetting after an hour of casting, and the instant joy of a hookup to see one swim away!

Hope people find that helpful, I’ve learned a lot from the forums, wanted to give something back

And would love to hear more tips about this area as I plan to come back more often now! Specifically - tide times for flatheads from the jettys, and any other productive land based locations in the bay.

Mikey87

Re: Easter Saturday Corio Bay Landbased- better than PPB any

Post by Mikey87 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:10 pm

This is awesome Andy! I haven't had a chance to hit Corio Bay yet but am gonna have to check it out now. Thanks heaps for the great write up mate.

Cheers,

Mike.

Bishal

Post by Bishal » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:15 pm

Awesome report bro...cheers!! :water:

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:29 pm

my cousin use to live in dramacondra an Griffins Gully jetty was just over the back use to get rotten drunk stagger across the road an catch snapper when they where running he has since moved so i stay out of geelong, suprised if using sp'd you didint try cuningham pier there is a nice drop off there an spose to be bream under it o_0 as for Rippleside jetty normaly see oldies down there catching mullet.

andybuck

Post by andybuck » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:33 pm

Thanks all
Cunningham's on the to do list, but wanted to try the other spots first. Loads of people fishing/cars on Cunningham when I went past around 10am.
Around St Helen's boat ramp also meant to be ok - may check next next trip

This was another link I used - good info about fishing with SP's:

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/articles/ ... stics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:13 am

Great report! Sounds like u had a great day fising! :gone:

adamk

Post by adamk » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:52 am

st hellens is hit an miss its good if the trevelly are runing. Prolly the majory thing I know it for

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:48 am

Head to the Barwon river near ocean grove andybuck, for another 20 minute drive out of Geelong you may have bagged out on salmon, mullet,whiting ? LJ's ... :thumbsup:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:35 am

Try Geelong trailable Yacht Club Jetty.. Probably not during the holidays or weekends..I go mid week,but,haven't been for sometime.(someone else might know what it's like on weekends)
Virtually fish out of the car & there is another jetty nearby..
Gra

acfisher

Post by acfisher » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:34 am

Thanks for all the info! good reading

Return to “Geelong - Corio Bay”