Kingfish Barwon Heads PPB rip

Maynefisher

Kingfish Barwon Heads PPB rip

Post by Maynefisher » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:15 pm

Hey guys, over the coming summer I’m looking forward to try and tackle kingfish in the PPB rip and off out Barwon Heads. I’ve never done this fishing before so how should I fish for them kingfish and what should I look for on the sounder ? What fresh bait do I use and how do I catch it ( slimy mackerel )? Just want a good understanding so when I go out there I can give it a red hot crack! Looks like great fun

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Kingfish Barwon Heads PPB rip

Post by smile0784 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:23 pm

I believe most people use live squid as bait
Some jig for them

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 pm

Yea a lot of my mates use live squid in the rip for them or jig. But jigging is tough work :)

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:57 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 pm
Yea a lot of my mates use live squid in the rip for them or jig. But jigging is tough work :)
Yeah a lot of people do vertical jigging with 200-300gm metal jig.
Tiring enough to do that and if you do get a hit, it'll be even more tiring. Not that I've landed a kingie but I've done the 4 hrs jigging (...and donut).
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:01 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:57 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 pm
Yeah a lot of people do vertical jigging with 200-300gm metal jig.
Tiring enough to do that and if you do get a hit, it'll be even more tiring. Not that I've landed a kingie but I've done the 4 hrs jigging (...and donut).
Haha yea Seb! I’ve had multiple sessions with ALOT of jigging for donuts as well and my arms were about to fall off :rofl: much prefer the livie technique :thumbsup:

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:12 am

Baits live. Squid, Yakkas, slimys, gars, salmon/tommies. Learn how to bridle rig live baits for best presentation and life out of the fish or where to hook a squid without killing it. Dead baits will need chin weights to get them swimming right. Strips and the like fresh does work, but mostly only get rats on them.
Knife jigs, xraps, poppers, stickbaits and the like for lures.
I'd hit up Barwon first to get a feel of it all. Can easily slow troll to cover ground or berley to try an get them around without the added pressure of rocks, fast currents, ships, pressure waves and a million other boats in a confined area.
Life jackets a must in the rip.
Your ordinary snapper gear won't handle much bigger fish than the rats if they fight dirty which most do.
I use Saragosa 10ks and Torium 16s with 50lb braid, a bimini twist to get an 8-10m double before 3m of 80lb shock leader connected with a cats paw, a large ball bearing snap swivel connects 2m 120lb main leader with either 9/0 single live bait hook for fish or 2 snelled 7/0 live baits for squid. All on Tcurve KingMacks.
I had a great sounder pic but changed phones since and can't find it now. There's likely a few pics on Scott Hennings reports on here

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:44 am

cobby wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:12 am
Baits live. Squid, Yakkas, slimys, gars, salmon/tommies. Learn how to bridle rig live baits for best presentation and life out of the fish or where to hook a squid without killing it. Dead baits will need chin weights to get them swimming right. Strips and the like fresh does work, but mostly only get rats on them.
I'd hit up Barwon first to get a feel of it all. Can easily slow troll to cover ground or berley to try an get them around without the added pressure of rocks, fast currents, ships, pressure waves and a million other boats in a confined area.
Your ordinary snapper gear won't handle much bigger fish than the rats if they fight dirty which most do.
I use Saragosa 10ks and Torium 16s with 50lb braid, a bimini twist to get an 8-10m double before 3m of 80lb shock leader connected with a cats paw, a large ball bearing snap swivel connects 2m 120lb main leader with either 9/0 single live bait hook for fish or 2 snelled 7/0 live baits for squid. All on Tcurve KingMacks.
I had a great sounder pic but changed phones since and can't find it now. There's likely a few pics on Scott Hennings reports on here

Cobby, that's the best concise write up on rounding up all there is to know about Kingies

One thing I'd like to add is , , , , if using dead squid, bait up the same BUT an added thing to do is puncture the ink sack , , , , and when "sight fishing" and a Kingie is seen near your bait , , , , a quick few yanks on the line/squid, is going to release some ink and make the squid look alive/distressed and also the ink cloud hides a bit so in the confusion , , , , Bang , , , , fish on :banana:

Cheers, Bugs

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:47 am

cobby wrote:
Great info
Makes it sound easy lol

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:48 am

Bugatti wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:44 am
cobby wrote:

Cobby, that's the best concise write up on rounding up all there is to know about Kingies

One thing I'd like to add is , , , , if using dead squid, bait up the same BUT an added thing to do is puncture the ink sack , , , , and when "sight fishing" and a Kingie is seen near your bait , , , , a quick few yanks on the line/squid, is going to release some ink and make the squid look alive/distressed and also the ink cloud hides a bit so in the confusion , , , , Bang , , , , fish on :banana:

Cheers, Bugs
Great tip I'll try that one

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:06 am

cobby wrote:
Some great tips there :thumbsup:

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”