Clifton springs report

Born2fish

Clifton springs report

Post by Born2fish » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:26 am

On Monday had a Rdo so decided to hit Clifton with a mate see if any early season reds where about. Sounded heaps near the turn marker so dropped anchor down tide of the bunch of boats put out a fresh bait spred. By the time first light cracked my mate missed a cracker run that triggered us to put fresh bait back out. Well that turned out a good Idea we didn't land any reds but wow we land some fish I havnt seen there before. What are they your asking? Hahahah well watch the vid to see the action :tongue:
https://youtu.be/4hAXvy9zQBU

Depth: 8m
Time : 4 am to 1pm
Bait: pilchards, squid, silver whiting, yakkas

Noony

Re: Clifton springs report

Post by Noony » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:52 am

Nice report

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:35 am

Elephant fish?not a common catch for that area

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:43 am

Elephant fish seem to turn up in any location depending on the time of year, I've caught one in Port Melbourne and as far as Gunnamatta surf beach then anywhere in-between, a mysterious fish indeed.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:37 am

I think their numbers were decimated 15 20 years ago in westernport at one stage there was no bag limit people took huge numbers then a bag limit of 5 now its 1 per day. I am not a fan of their taste but are good in fish curries they don’t fall apart and it disguises their taste.
Not good sport on snapper gear but are good on light tackle we used to go to westernport and catch them around Easter time big females up to 7 kilos and probably 8 to 1 females to males were caught. The males were always smaller and had a funny short spike that retracted into its body just fwd of the main dorsal fin.
The dorsal fin has a serrated edge on the aft side, once a mate dragged one in the boat and the spike went into my thigh and we had to pull it out with pliers and it took ages to stop bleeding.

Nice video

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:52 am

Great vid mate.
Some nice elephants :thumbsup:

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:08 am

Great fun for kids/beginers when they are in numbers in westernport on light tackle

Born2fish

Post by Born2fish » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:16 am

Nude up wrote:I think their numbers were decimated 15 20 years ago in westernport at one stage there was no bag limit people took huge numbers then a bag limit of 5 now its 1 per day. I am not a fan of their taste but are good in fish curries they don’t fall apart and it disguises their taste.
Not good sport on snapper gear but are good on light tackle we used to go to westernport and catch them around Easter time big females up to 7 kilos and probably 8 to 1 females to males were caught. The males were always smaller and had a funny short spike that retracted into its body just fwd of the main dorsal fin.
The dorsal fin has a serrated edge on the aft side, once a mate dragged one in the boat and the spike went into my thigh and we had to pull it out with pliers and it took ages to stop bleeding.

Nice video
Thanks bud

Born2fish

Post by Born2fish » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:16 am

Lightningx wrote:Great vid mate.
Some nice elephants :thumbsup:
Cheers champion

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:31 am

I've seen elephants caught in welshpool too... idk why but they always seem to go to corinella/coronet bay when they come in to spawn from the continental shelf? I assume maybe the fast currents helps them spawn? I really dont know. Interesting fish for sure

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”