St Leonards - drifting for flatties - help plesae!

jfel

St Leonards - drifting for flatties - help plesae!

Post by jfel » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:16 pm

Hi all,

I'm just back into boating after a 10 year break - I've always fished the St Leonard/Swan Bay area (launch at Swan Bay). I used to be able to get onto the whiting fairly consistently, but have really struggled this time around.

I'm really keen to be able to pick up some flatties as a backup when the whiting aren't on but I honestly don't really know where to start. From what I've read on here, near the white lady seems to be a good option?

I've taken a few mates out recently and all we have caught around Swan Bay is leatherjacket - i think they've lost confidence in me. I'm taking them out again on Tuesday and would love to prove them wrong! Also, the Mrs isn't really rating the money spent on the boat when I keep coming home empty handed!

Would really appreciate some tips on rigs/bait/locations etc to get me started on the flatties.

Appreciated.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: St Leonards - drifting for flatties - help plesae!

Post by smile0784 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:35 pm

The Mrs will also rate the money spent of fishing. If she wants to work it out correctly for your catch it's cheaper to buy fish from the market lol

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:54 pm

I get whiting bear white lady wouldn’t bother goin there for frogs! The closest marker to the ramp straight out front is the spot man I’ve drifted past that marker n got my bag of squid in no time it’s a little weedy butdrift plasrics you’ll get the frogs.. come to think of it if squid are there so are the whiting but I never fair well on kgw anyway

Hectic habbib

Post by Hectic habbib » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:41 am

for flatties try blue/grey soft plastics a shot there do alright, always have a squid jig out to try your luck. also as bait try chicken breast soaked in tuna oil. has never let me down

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:21 am

Try a paganoster rig with small squid strip or 2cm cut of pilchard and a 2ounce sinker

Just remember. If drifting you mite have to let out bit of line every now and then to keep your bait on the bottom

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:36 am

I have done well in the past drifting for flatties with whiting snatcher rigs with a golden tinsel :)

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:14 pm

try the bio tough wriggler pumkin seed 120mm the flattys love them

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”