Offshore

bluewater81
Has liked: 1 time

Offshore

Post by bluewater81 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:26 am

Am heading offshore for first time (in VIC), what is a good general area to start. I've been told drifting around the 30-40m contour lines off Barwon Head/Ocean Grove. Might take the outriggers out and try for a barrel and mark bottom as I go. Hopefully get some gummies, snapper, big flatties. Will stop by the weed beds for some squid fresh live bait on the way out.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Offshore

Post by Kimtown » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:07 am

I think if you can find reef offshore you would be a good chance to intecept a school of pinky snapper who are making the transition from offshore to the bay for their spawning season

Flathead just drift anywhere between 20m-40m on sand bottom and should eventually find patches of them, at least that works for me out front of WPB.

I have more luck in the bays for gummies as opposed to offshore so I can't really comment or give advice there :( I think trolling for tuna would be pretty unproductive.

bluewater81

Post by bluewater81 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:27 am

Thanks mate, very helpful. Re Tuna, had a friend go out twice this week and got 3 and 5 straight out off Ocean Grove, a couple were stonkers too.

I haven't had much luck in the bays but have got a few target areas lined up for a nice summers night.

Are you drifting with bait/paternoster or soft plastics? Is there much current out the front?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:43 am

Look out for kayaks, there’s going to be a few of us out there tomorrow I think
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:56 am

bluewater81 wrote:Thanks mate, very helpful. Re Tuna, had a friend go out twice this week and got 3 and 5 straight out off Ocean Grove, a couple were stonkers too.

I haven't had much luck in the bays but have got a few target areas lined up for a nice summers night.

Are you drifting with bait/paternoster or soft plastics? Is there much current out the front?
Well there you go, I thought the tuna run would have dried up by now, shows how much i know lol

Yeah always paternoster with bait (pilchards mostly) when I drift for flattys. Very little current offshore. Never tried soft plastics offshore.

bluewater81

Post by bluewater81 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:15 am

Kimtown wrote:
bluewater81 wrote:Thanks mate, very helpful. Re Tuna, had a friend go out twice this week and got 3 and 5 straight out off Ocean Grove, a couple were stonkers too.

Well there you go, I thought the tuna run would have dried up by now, shows how much i know lol

Yeah always paternoster with bait (pilchards mostly) when I drift for flattys. Very little current offshore. Never tried soft plastics offshore.
According to him, they usually turn up at Portland around ANZAC day? Then move East before heading down the West Coast of Tas. He said between now and Grand Final day is when the barrels turn up out the front here, but nobody really tries for them whereas he always does. Anyway, handy info to try out at some stage.

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:09 pm

Hi bluewater81, I went out yesterday and sat in front of ocean grove/Barwon Heads in about 25m and did ok. Got a couple of snapper worth keeping. I was hoping for a gummy but that plan didn’t work out.
There was a variety of fish though which is good.
I much prefer to get out of the bay now, I did notice a lot of fish on the sounder going out the heads so if you’ve got time and there’s no shipping traffic it would be worth dropping a jig to see what you can hook up to there, maybe snapper ?
The attached screen shot was a typical result all through the heads. I did see heaps more in different spots but I never had a jig ready to drop so I didn’t bother.
Good luck.
Attachments
59FD4EB3-8903-453D-99D0-1479AD2067D4.jpeg

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:28 am

Regarding your mate, he doesn't own a Formula by any chance does he.?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:19 pm

I drifted out in 40mt and picked up a few.nice gummys.
Obe trip we Caught the biggest 1 around 7 foot est 25kg.didnt lift it in the boat. Amd 30 nins later dropped a 15kg gummy.

And next trip we caught a 12kg gummy
And hooked a mako bit lost it after a few jumps

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Some nice gummies the mate.

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”