Torquay and Portland Fishing Over Easter

kahlua_khan

Torquay and Portland Fishing Over Easter

Post by kahlua_khan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:45 pm

Hi All,
The family and I took a road trip for second week of the Easter holidays, spending some time with family in the Latrobe Valley and Portland. Over the trip I managed to get a bit of fishing in along the way.

Monday 4th - Sorrento
While not actually fishing in Sorrento, we did take the ferry across to Queenscliff, and before we left had a bit of a chance to look around Sorrento Pier. I must say I am stunned at how clear the water was. there were a few people fishing there and you could clearly see their rigs on the bottom of the water. There was also a large ray or skate hanging about too. Because the water was clear there were other fish able to be seen including Salmon (I think) and quite a few garfish swimming about.

Tuesday the 5th - Spring Creek Torquay
We spent a couple of nights in Torquay to break up the trip and I was lucky enough to get down to Spring Creek for a fish with the kids. On arrival there were plenty of bait fish around and some bigger fish I couldn't identify. The kids and I fished for a while on the walkway across the creek, but all we were getting was pickers stripping the bait and I was a little uncomfortable with the mix of children with rods and cyclists crossing the bridge so we moved on. We went upstream to a little landing near a playground, I dropped a Woolies prawn over the edge, and before the bait had hit the bottom the rod bent over and I reeled in a nice little Bream. It was just on for size, but we put it back anyway. We fished on for a while, with me casting into the middle for some bite bites but no takes. Overall I was chuffed as it was my first Bream.

Thursday the 7th - Trawler Wharf Portland
Staying with family in Portland the whole clan went down the the trawler wharf for a fish. As soon as bait hit the water there were bites and bait was stripped. After a while we were able to pull in a small Trevally, which explained the bait disappearance. We rigged some smaller hooks and began to pull them in regularly, undersized at first, but then we got a couple that were just on size. Again we decided to put them back as there wasn't enough for a feed.

Friday the 8th - North Shore Portland
On the Friday we broke out the surf rods and hit the north shore. On the first cast the rod buckled over, the reel screamed and I managed to drag in an almighty pile of seaweed. Was interesting for a moment before I realised what it was, as the undertow was dragging it out to sea! That was unfortunately the story for the day with weed the only catch, and lots of it. We did at the end find a spot with little weed and fished for a while for nought. It was still fun though and the take home message for me is I need to practice casting! Just before we packed up a group of dolphins moved past us close to the shore which was a fantastic end to the day.

Overall it was a great trip with some fun fishing that's whet my appetite for more.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Torquay and Portland Fishing Over Easter

Post by Scraglor » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:51 pm

Great report mate, I'm sure the kids had a ball! There are definitely worse way to spend the day :P

DR.SPESH

Post by DR.SPESH » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:59 pm

Sounds like a fun week for all. Well done. Nice report.

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:14 pm

Those days sounded fun! Good report

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:49 pm

Great read there

Cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:09 am

A nice spread of reports, great fishing in new areas and with the kids well done

snorkly

Post by snorkly » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:56 am

Well done mate, great report and looks like great fun with family

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:18 am

Nice report mate :)

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”