Planning for Murchison/Shepparton cod

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Planning for Murchison/Shepparton cod

Post by Lightningx » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:44 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:48 am
Yesterday weather was better than expected. Water was clear enough, good looking spot, water level was dropping, current was good too.
rps20190331_122120.jpg
I caught one yellowbelly around 25cm, Chris dropped one yellowbelly right under his feet that looked like between 30-40cm. That's it. Very quiet.

Saw some kayakers and boaters, said the same thing, quiet day.

2.5 hrs drive there, 6.5 hrs of fishing, lost 5 lures between us three. Lot of casts. We all tried different lures, stumpjumper, spinnerbait, surface lures, swimbaits, etc.
We're starting to loose hope to catch cods on lures, especially on surface. The 2.5 hrs drive back was exhausting.

Now the weather getting colder, everyone said the cod fishing is going to slow down even more. Not sure if we will ever get that good cod fishing day :( seems like everytime we get time to do cod fishing, it's always not in our favour.

We kinda knew it would be hard and we certainly learnt. But still, it's not like we live 10 mins away and can go back anytime. 12 hrs trip is quite an effort.

Also, saw a dead neck turtle floating with a fishing line on it's mouth. Looks like it ate a bait, got hooked and the sinker got snagged. The line felt like a 15lb mono, and the fisherman broke the line.

rps20190331_121726.jpg

Us three coincidentally used kingfisher mantis surface lure in the last 10 mins, surprised how the bottom half sits very low and has great action.rps20190331_121620.jpg
Nice report.
Not a bad looking spot :)

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Planning for Murchison/Shepparton cod

Post by greggo » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:09 pm

Good report mate, at least you gave it a crack.

I've found that dropping water levels mean the Cod shut down, rising levels seem to bring them on really well. That's just my observation, there'll be some who would argue it I'd imagine.

Return to “Australian Natives”