Silver perch north of the divide.

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Silver perch north of the divide.

Post by April Fool » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:42 pm

Hi all
Victorian fishing regs are currently under review and a proposal for change has been forwarded to fisheries to consider introducing a bag limit of two fish from rivers north of the divide (currently they are protected). Of course it may not be approved but if it does...would anyone target them?

I have caught some as bycatch and wouldn't mind chasing them with small spinners but have avoided this currently as they are protected. Our local lake had been stocked with them but I can't be bothered chasing them there for various reasons. If the laws change, I wouldn't mind having a crack at them although I would be careful where as some locations I fish have largish cod and I am not to keen on hooking them on light gear.

As with other natives I would likely release them but has anyone tried eating them? I am always looking for new species of fish not to catch.
Cheers
Team Bender
Ready and willing to get revenge on the bait pinching little f***ers!

muzza43
Has liked: 104 times

Re: Silver perch north of the divide.

Post by muzza43 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:27 pm

They taste like crap, Jim. Cheers, muzza43.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:06 pm

Seeing as they are protected in waters I fish and that I don't keep fish usually anyway I haven't tried them but I wouldn't be surprised if they were bony, cheers davo.
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ecoronad » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:01 pm

I have only ever caught the one silver perch from Lake Charm on a scrubworm. Didn't get an exact weight or measurement, but it would have been approximately one kg in weight and about 45cm long. Fat and well conditioned fish. Took it home and cooked it whole in a broth type dish. Based on that one experience, I would say it tasted better than any yellas that i've ever caught. And it wasn't bony. My two cents. Wouldn't mind being able to keep a fish or two if the rules changed for rivers and they fight well for their size.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 59 times

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:52 am

We caught some in Lake Burrinjuck back in the day and after one lot we cooked the rest went to the cats. Not recommended as an eating fish.

jedgpz

Post by jedgpz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:31 am

I have eaten one years ago tasted great. I think for fresh water fish a lot has to do with how you prepare and cook them. Lots of people tell me that yellas taste muddy but never had a problem with them.
Have been wanting to do a trip to Kows Swamp and target them as the ones I have caught fight great.
I would love the chance to target them.
That being said I mainly fish C & R for fresh water natives so they would live to fight again.
Cheers
Jed

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:32 pm

April Fool wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:42 pm
Hi all
Victorian fishing regs are currently under review and a proposal for change has been forwarded to fisheries to consider introducing a bag limit of two fish from rivers north of the divide (currently they are protected).

Of course it may not be approved but if it does...would anyone target them?

I am always looking for new species of fish not to catch.

Cheers
Team Bender
Ready and willing to get revenge on the bait pinching little f***ers!
Yeah, Jim, I'm of that belief "may not be approved". Here in SA, they have media releases of tightening rules (which they are forever tightening). I'm of the opinion they release info to gauge public opinion and then work out how tight they can get away with tightening the rules. I'd say this is probably more of a fact finding mission and Fisheries monitoring public opinion (like this forum) to formulate strategies.

And you would not believe how many fish are on my "fish not to catch" list , , , , just simply by default of my fishing prowess.

jedgpz wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:31 am

I think for fresh water fish a lot has to do with how you prepare and cook them.

That being said I mainly fish C & R for fresh water natives so they would live to fight again.
Cheers
Jed

True dat jedgpz, it is about how you prepare and cook them. And personal taste plays a big part of it too.

That being said, with my cooking (similar default setup as my fishing prowess) I can make any fish taste awful.

But we all have our sentimental fish, which we C & R and maybe, not even target at all. Native freshwater specie are mine, just a "give the little Aussie battlers" a chance thing for me.
muzza43 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:27 pm
They taste like crap, Jim. Cheers, muzza43.

Yeah, not sure muzza43 if they taste like Carp, I've never tried Carp

Return to “Australian Natives”