Blue rock n bass tips

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Blue rock n bass tips

Post by BIG GAV » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Hey guys so I’ve set a goal this summer to finally go out n target n hopefully nail a few bass. I know a few members do get up in the skinny creeks n Bush bash with great success but I’m wondering if any members have fished blue rock or fish it somewhat regularly.

Being primarily a cod n yella fisho (promoted from carp haha) I never spare the time to actually chase them..

Do I target the same areas I would cod..? 4-10m big timber etc... do they go off the bite when the suns up..? I got a 1-3 with 8 lb braid so setup n lures are sorted

Is there still a 5 and 15 knot speed restriction in blue rock? What boat ramps would you guys reccomend if there’s more than one..? Tbh I’m going either way n I’m quite fond of finding my own water but a few pointers never hurt anyone!

Thanks in advance fellas...

Merry Xmas, Gav

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Re: Blue rock n bass tips

Post by ben475 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:26 pm

gav, the ramp at old tanjil rd is the go.
there's plenty of water to cover on the lake. I caught a bass there in the middle of the afternoon on a cloudy day on a deep diver (4.5m) in about 5-6m of water, only one I caught.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:39 pm

G'Day Gav have had a few beers so bear with me.

As Benfourhunderandseventyfive mentions old tanjil rd is a good ramp but bass are spread out throughout the entire lake.
I fish blue rock occasionally and have caught bass land based in a kayak and on a stand up paddle board.
Personally I'm always chasing the surface bite so I fish on evenings as thats the time I can get out usually around still hot evenings even better if theres an impending change. Fishing surface I use cicada style lures or Jackall Pompadours.
With Cicadas I cast tight in at snags and let the lure sit for roughly 30 seconds before giving a little twitch before letting it sit again I tend to cast around various dead trees.
The pompadours I slow roll from trees to open space.

Both these techniques result in plops cant call them boofs because they dont compare in size to Truedogz.

Before the sunsets I use minnow style lures casting at snags or working points this technique has been successful for me.
When the sun is high many successful angler utilises spinnerbaits, plastics or vibes deep but I haven't tried this yet.
As far as I know the speed limit still applies.
Sorry about the scattered reply but its Xmas and im pissed any questions fire away mate.
Merry Xmas Big Gav

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:13 am

Nope that sums up what I wanted to know pretty well. I got plenty of bass surface lures pompadour jnrs little fish candy cicadas and the like I’ll “have to” buy a pompadour micro to be safe hahahaha

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:36 am

The micro pompadours are an awesome little lure. I'd recommend changing the treble on them though. I've seen them snap easily. I put a size 10 owner treble which is a touch smaller and actually work better because it doesn't foul up on the metal wings.

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:42 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:The micro pompadours are an awesome little lure. I'd recommend changing the treble on them though. I've seen them snap easily. I put a size 10 owner treble which is a touch smaller and actually work better because it doesn't foul up on the metal wings.
I actually went n got a micro this morning! I have them in all the other sizes imo best surface lure I’ve used

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:11 pm

BIG GAV wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:The micro pompadours are an awesome little lure. I'd recommend changing the treble on them though. I've seen them snap easily. I put a size 10 owner treble which is a touch smaller and actually work better because it doesn't foul up on the metal wings.
I actually went n got a micro this morning! I have them in all the other sizes imo best surface lure I’ve used
They cast really well aye. I've also got a couple Tiemco soft shell cicadas that are good and some cheap knock offs of them as well that work just as good.

I reckon the Tiemco/Megabass siglets are a bit better for that twitch and pause type of retrieve than the Pompis

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
BIG GAV wrote:
They cast really well aye. I've also got a couple Tiemco soft shell cicadas that are good and some cheap knock offs of them as well that work just as good.

I reckon the Tiemco/Megabass siglets are a bit better for that twitch and pause type of retrieve than the Pompis
For me the pomps are great for working through an area with a louder action a bit like you would with a buzz bait but a bit slower. Tiemcos and duo's are great for casting into snags and wiggling. The sigletts are good for working small distances and pausing. Which one I tie on depends on what I want to do.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:35 pm

I'm not sure if it's still the case because it's been a while since I did blue rock but I found the smaller top waters were more effective. I was using the megabass tiny sigletts and have seen jackall micro tappys have also gone well.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:23 am

Have caught a few on the micro tappy, the tiny siglett I haven’t used at blue rock but have had success elsewhere.

The micro pompadour I have found tends to only be taken by bass around 35cm and up where the smaller lures will also get smashed by the smaller bass.

Return to “Australian Natives”