An Apology

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

An Apology

Post by Truedogz » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi Everyone

As you know the Murray Codference was held yesterday. I saw a number of familiar faces plus briefly met some of the members who I only knew through their posts. I think all up over 500 people attended. If you want to see my presentation you can view it at:

https://www.facebook.com/VictorianFishe ... 440625696/

Last night and this morning I have been dealing with messages and phone calls from people who are very disappointed with yesterday’s outcome, one pretty angry (not a member of FV). I told everyone that a major announcement would be made at the Codference and I did that in good faith – and it didn’t happen.

As you know some years ago I walked away from native fish conservation due to failed commitments made both in public and private. Since then when somebody from government has contacted me for assistance I either don’t reply or give them a piece of my mind. Some weeks ago a member from the Victorian Fisheries Authority contacted both Robbie Alexander and Tim Curmi from NFA seeking their assistance to get me to speak at the Codference. I said no, indicating nothing as far as I was concerned had changed. I was then asked if I could be contacted and at least consider it, so fair enough I said ok to that. After some discussion I said I would speak on one condition and that was it would be announced that recreational fisheries would be created for trout cod in Goulburn River at Trawool, the Polly McQuinns Weir and the Ovens River – these things were promised as far back as 1984. After some discussion this was to be the final text:

Develop and open up trout cod and macca recreational fisheries in key waters including the Ovens, Goulburn (Trawool to Lake Nagambie) and Seven Creeks (PMW) and other waterways where we can show they either have established self-sustaining populations or can support viable recreational fisheries through stocking.

I offered and would have loved to have made that announcement but it was agreed, and correctly so, that either Travis Dowling or Anthony Forster from the VFA would announce that commitment. On that basis I agreed to give a talk at the Codference and assist in other areas.

I told quite a few people and also posted here that there would be a major announcement. I did not disclose to anyone what it would be about, as I will not share confidential information, though many people guessed it would involve trout cod. I know some people drove great distances to attend anticipating something important. I specifically asked one old chap and his family who helped me with True Tales of the Trout Cod to attend – his dream was to see trout cod back in the Goulburn at Kerrisdale and I wanted him present when the announcement was made.

At lunchtime I queried a VFA person why the announcement had not been made in the VFA speeches. They told me it was lack of time and that the text was in the conference proceedings, which it is – page 10. I told them that they really need to say it up on the stage for people to take it seriously. It didn’t happen in the talks after lunch. During question time at the end a person in the audience asked Anthony if the VFA will open up trout cod fisheries and he said they would, without being specific, but the manner in which it was delivered could have been better. I have known him a long time and you will not get a keener supporter for recreational fishing than Anthony. In my heart deep down I know Travis and Anthony have and will deliver great outcomes for anglers in this state.

I wish to apologise if I have unintentionally mislead people. I would have thought announcing the creation of rec fisheries for trout cod in those three waters would have been a big deal, something the VFA could have been proud of. For those of us who have been involved with trout cod such an announcement would be a once in a lifetime event, something for the ages. Instead it is a sentence in amongst a whole lot of other sentences. It is my fault, not theirs, for misinterpreting the situation.

I am ashamed and I am sorry I have let everybody down. I promised to attend a meeting about the Seven Creeks this week and as far as I am concerned that will bring to a close my involvement in native fish conservation. I won’t be doing any more posts on FV. I wish to thank everyone on this site for the way you have treated me and I look forward to having a fish with some of you in the future. I am happy to be someone that just goes fishing without all of the other stuff.

Best Wishes

Will Trueman

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: An Apology

Post by rb85 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:30 pm

Will I have always enjoyed reading your posts and passion for fishing for natives and appreciate the advice given to myself and others.

It will be sad to see you go from here but wish you all the best in your future fishing expeditions. Not having been involved in the politics of native fishing it appears that a few bureaucrats and others need to be apologetic not you who has given up their time to speak on the urging of improvements to trout cod fisheries.

Will check out your speech this arvo thanks for sharing and hopefully see you on the banks of a river in northern vic someday.

Cheers

bluewater81
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bluewater81 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:34 pm

**** happens mate, life goes on, if people can't forgive that's their problem, credit to you for owning up and best wishes for the future.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:52 pm

Re-register on FV under an alias and become an anonymous whistle blower ....not all heros wear capes

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:35 pm

Truedogz wrote:
I wish to apologise if I have unintentionally mislead people. I would have thought announcing the creation of rec fisheries for trout cod in those three waters would have been a big deal, something the VFA could have been proud of. For those of us who have been involved with trout cod such an announcement would be a once in a lifetime event, something for the ages. Instead it is a sentence in amongst a whole lot of other sentences. It is my fault, not theirs, for misinterpreting the situation.

I am ashamed and I am sorry I have let everybody down. I promised to attend a meeting about the Seven Creeks this week and as far as I am concerned that will bring to a close my involvement in native fish conservation. I won’t be doing any more posts on FV. I wish to thank everyone on this site for the way you have treated me and I look forward to having a fish with some of you in the future.
Will, very admirable to put together a gut wrenching post! To be told that the support was there behind you and not to have had the big announcement is by no means your fault. I was unable to attend Codference, however I heard it was well attended and you should take heart that there is such a high regard for the cod & trout cod to become a VFA backed project.

It would be drastic measures to lose you & your wisdom from FV, hang in there and redirect energy into the social aspect of FV banter. Losing your knowledge at the involvement level is sad to hear, we need as many ppl as possible to keep driving the VFA & what we expect as fishos.

Hope to see your social posts continue! :a_goodjob:
quid est quod eum

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:33 pm

Hi Wil

You are clearly a very principled person but on reading what happened you do not need to apologize at all for being let down over a subject very dear to your heart. As you well know people let you down and do not always meet their end of a bargain - as was obviously the case here. That is not your fault and you have no responsibility for the actions of others in this matter.

Any decision to leave the Forum is of course up to you but I request that you reconsider. You have a truly unique amount of knowledge about Australia's native fish/fisheries and we all greatly appreciate your posts including your "boof" stories. Being let down by "boofheads" yet again is not a nice experience!!!

Sooooooooo your many friends here really would like you to remain an active member of the Forum.

Please think about it.

Paul

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Like the others have said please reconsider and stay at FV, your posts are very informative and your "Boof" series has accumulated quite a following ! ( me included) :thumbsup:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:05 pm

Good day Will,
I can understand your exasperation and disappointment but, as others have said, you have nothing to feel guilty about.
As a coastal New South Welshman I always looked forward to your posts. They gave me an insight into places and species and techniques which I would otherwise have had little contact with. I may have occasionally disagreed on minor details but I always appreciated your objective thoughts on fishing policy issues.
By discontinuing your posts you are punishing the wrong people. I hope, given time, you'll be back with us again.

Compliments of the season, Col.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:58 pm

Paulanderson wrote:Hi Wil

You are clearly a very principled person but on reading what happened you do not need to apologize at all for being let down over a subject very dear to your heart. As you well know people let you down and do not always meet their end of a bargain - as was obviously the case here. That is not your fault and you have no responsibility for the actions of others in this matter.

Any decision to leave the Forum is of course up to you but I request that you reconsider. You have a truly unique amount of knowledge about Australia's native fish/fisheries and we all greatly appreciate your posts including your "boof" stories. Being let down by "boofheads" yet again is not a nice experience!!!

Sooooooooo your many friends here really would like you to remain an active member of the Forum.

Please think about it.

Paul
This is X2 for me as well, I couldn't have worded it any better.. I for one would not like to see you leave the site either..
Sit down and give it a bit more time & thought of the decision you are making, if & then you decide to leave then so be it, you will surely be missed from here that's for sure.. best of luck with what you do Will & hope you do manage to have a fish or two with some of the site members as well..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:40 pm

As mentioned above, would hate to see you leave the forum. Love your work Will. It isn't your fault. You've done more than most for our natives and a lot of people are grateful for that.

Cheers, Anth

Return to “Australian Natives”