An Apology

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: An Apology

Post by mazman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:39 pm

Will, I just watched your talk on youtube (Will's talk) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

After what has happened, not just here but in the past as well, I can understand your move to move away from formal involvement in native fish conservation but please don't underestimate the difference your posts here make, as you said in your talk, fisherman can play an important role in conservation and your posts and involvement here are assisting in increasing the appeal of some of the lesser known species. I for one had never put much thought into native fish outside of yellowbelly and murray cod until very recently and your posts are a very large part of the reason why fish such as trout cod and macquarie perch are on my radar.
I hope you will reconsider your decision to cease posting however if you don't come back I would like to thank you for your contribution to native fishing and the forum.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Ditto to all the above Will,I,m not up with the politics of it all and that is your business, but see no reason for it to drive you from this Forum.
FV needs comment from fisho,s such as yourself to balance out some of the stuff that occasionally takes over , as evidenced recently.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Hi Everyone

Davek sent me a text message to read your posts which I have. Thank you for your support and kind thoughts.

I have spent the day on the Seven Creeks with some people from CMA and DELWP as well as NFA and the VFA which I had promised to do. Some very fine, dedicated people were present discussing how to maintain and improve the trout cod and Macquarie perch populations in the stream.

Unfortunately, now that someone has released redfin into it (there were none as a waterfall prevented them getting up there) it is an uphill battle from here. I have little doubt that the redfin were released as a result of government agencies repeatedly reneging on the promises they made. Sound familiar?

I've got a broken heart over the Seven Creeks as it was the last place on earth that had trout cod, maccas, blackfish, etc, without introduced fish, a last look at how things were. It is now ruined forever. I did what I said I would, turn up, give my thoughts and suggestions, but that's it. I walked away a few years ago from the fish politics and it took a hell of a lot of convincing to get me to do the talk on Sunday. Fish related emails from government agencies from now on will get deleted straight off. Now that I have pulled the pin for good I am sad but also have a sense of relief.

Having been hung out to dry on Sunday, anticipating an announcement I have been waiting a lifetime to hear, I simply don't want any reminders about the past. I joined FV, like most people, seeking fishing information and while mostly providing information on catching fish occasionally I have got fired up on issues important to me. Unfortunately now I don't think it is good for me, it's simply too upsetting. While I have a lot of regrets I feel I have made some positive contributions to angling and fish conservation. I've pulled up stumps.

I simply want to turn the page, enjoy some fishing and not have any reminders about the past. It's not personal, but I think being on FV there will be too many reminders.

Davek and I haven't got out fishing this season as our work schedules clash, but we are now planning an overnighter chasing cod. He has become a good friend and I am sure I will be in some of his posts and he will pass on any tips.

Take care.

Will

telr

Post by telr » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Just one more reason for me to hate pollies and bureaucrats! Thanks for your efforts, Will, surely there is a reward awaiting you, you deserve a lot better deal than you got!

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:21 pm

It's sad that this sort of garbage continually happens to not just well intentioned, but highly knowledgeable people actually actively trying to make a difference. I was even talking to someone Sunday night who like you, went through the crap and did all the political bull before doing exactly as you're doing now. Enjoy the fishing Will and hope you get many more boofs in the nights to come

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:33 pm

mazman wrote:Will, I just watched your talk on youtube (Will's talk) and thoroughly enjoyed it.
+1 Nice presentation.

Will you are not at fault for the action or inaction of others.

breamtim2

Post by breamtim2 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:07 pm

Very sad to hear Will. We can only hope things can get better from here for the natives, not just trout cod but also Macquaries and southern blackfish. We can also only hope others will follow in your footsteps to do our part. I for one will be doing my part to make sure we lose nothing more.

It was great to be there at the talk (after a 6 hour drive!) and meet you in person. Hopefully you can stick around on the site but it is your decision. Thanks for your efforts over the years however.

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:19 pm

I do hope you will reconsider Will. Your knowledge of the history of natives in Victoria is without peer. To lose such a valued contributor would be one more reason not to bother wading through the myriad of pointless slanging matches hoping for some quality.

Return to “Australian Natives”