New PB, two years in the making.

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Sinsemilla

Re: New PB, two years in the making.

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:27 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:What kind of gear do you guys use to target them?
handlines are more than enough :tongue:
but if you must, then bream gear is what most use.
Can you imagine how intense the fight would be though if you hand lined a cicada into snags and hooked up to a decent fish! Frantic would be the only way to describe how you'd be hahaha!

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:29 pm

mazman wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
cobby wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:Man what a rush that would have been. I know those trembles all too well! Awesome that you landed it.

Hanging to get my first now!

Cheers, Anth
Do it! They're an awesome fish, and once over 40cm do they pull some string
Definitely a fish a want to tick off the list this year. What kind of gear do you guys use to target them?
I have a few different outfits now depending on where I am and what I'm throwing.
light spin 4-8lb 6'6 + 2500 reel this is my light bass rod if I want to throw any smaller lures or lightly weighted sps
heavy spin 5-10lb 6'6 + 2500 reel when I go landbased this is the rod I use 90% of the time, can still kind of cast light lures but heavy enough to get control of fish when you're not in a great area for landing them.
light bc 3-8lb 6'9 + alphas air Can still flick light lures but having your thumb on the spool helps to stop any first runs but still have drag set to not pull hooks in the back end of the fight.
heavy bc 4-12lb 6'8 + daiwa tatula spinner baits, buzz baits, big wakebaits.

That's just me though and I'm still learning about techniques.
I pretty much got that kind of gear but in 7ft. Is there a specific reason you go for rods under 7ft?

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:41 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
mazman wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
cobby wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:Man what a rush that would have been. I know those trembles all too well! Awesome that you landed it.

Hanging to get my first now!

Cheers, Anth
Definitely a fish a want to tick off the list this year. What kind of gear do you guys use to target them?
I have a few different outfits now depending on where I am and what I'm throwing.
light spin 4-8lb 6'6 + 2500 reel this is my light bass rod if I want to throw any smaller lures or lightly weighted sps
heavy spin 5-10lb 6'6 + 2500 reel when I go landbased this is the rod I use 90% of the time, can still kind of cast light lures but heavy enough to get control of fish when you're not in a great area for landing them.
light bc 3-8lb 6'9 + alphas air Can still flick light lures but having your thumb on the spool helps to stop any first runs but still have drag set to not pull hooks in the back end of the fight.

I pretty much got that kind of gear but in 7ft. Is there a specific reason you go for rods under 7ft?
I go short because I'm usually fishing close quarters in snags and find it assists with accuracy. If I start fishing the dams a bit more I'll bump up the rod length a bit.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:48 pm

mazman wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
mazman wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
cobby wrote:

I go short because I'm usually fishing close quarters in snags and find it assists with accuracy. If I start fishing the dams a bit more I'll bump up the rod length a bit.
I thought so. What rods do you like using? I just got rid of a daiwa 6'8 2-4kg and wouldn't mind a replacement.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:59 pm

Majorcraft Volkey BFS 3-10lb bc with Chronarch 50mg I use 99% of the time. Casts just about everything 2gm and heavier. Unweighted plastics and super light lures just a 2-4kg Raider with 2000 Sol

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:29 pm

cobby wrote:Majorcraft Volkey BFS 3-10lb bc with Chronarch 50mg I use 99% of the time. Casts just about everything 2gm and heavier. Unweighted plastics and super light lures just a 2-4kg Raider with 2000 Sol
how good are the bfs volkeys!
I'm using the 692xul and the 682l. Still getting the hang of casting really light lures on them but getting better.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Cheers fellas. They look like a nice bit of kit. I've always wanted an excuse to get a pixy or alphas.

cobby

Post by cobby » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:45 pm

652ul is what I have. Casts anything 5gm or more a mile and deadly accurate after the first 10 attempts too. Plenty of power to handle 40cm+ fish with the thumb firmly on the spool. It's been my best and favourite sight unseen pray to god it's good purchase in history.

I wanted a pixy, but the Chronarch new in box in a display cabinet years after it was discontinued was way to cheap to pass up (under $200)

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:50 pm

cobby wrote:652ul is what I have. Casts anything 5gm or more a mile and deadly accurate after the first 10 attempts too. Plenty of power to handle 40cm+ fish with the thumb firmly on the spool. It's been my best and favourite sight unseen pray to god it's good purchase in history.

I wanted a pixy, but the Chronarch new in box in a display cabinet years after it was discontinued was way to cheap to pass up (under $200)
Thanks for the info mate. I'm definitely going to look into the majorcrafts. They are at a good price point as well. Do you just get them off Ebay?

cobby

Post by cobby » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:16 pm

I got mine off plat years ago so don't know if they still stock them. Haven't looked in a long time

Return to “Australian Natives”