PB Mulwala Trip

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

PB Mulwala Trip

Post by Millzee » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:17 pm

Just got back from one of my most special fishing trips ever. A mate and I went to Mulwala on Friday afternoon arriving in time to set up camp and get out on the water for the surface strike. All week I was excited from reading the weather forecast, everything was looking like things should go off. My PB was only 72cm as we worked the areas I like to fish and as the sun went down the activity began to entice us to work harder with a few looks and a couple of non hook up boofs. As last light began to become the dark of night I cast out my two hour old big Zerek Stalker, half way back to the boat I stopped winding the reel to lean back and reduce the brightness of my sounder and all of a sudden the awesome sound of the water breaking and my rod buckled over. I instantly knew I was on a great fish because my heaviest outfit was bending like never before and as she got closer to the boat I saw the awesome size of her in the moonlight. My mate went for the net but we soon realised it was too small so I grabbed the lip grips to get it in the boat. We quickly took pic's and got her on the mat for a measure and I was very happy to read an honest 110cm, I'd finally shattered my long standing PB.
Saturday was a very quiet day on the water, we fished first light through till about 9pm and only had one boof and landed one little 40cm cod off the top that wasn't worthy of a pic. Reports from other fisho was that the lake was dead all day so on that info we decided we'd take it easy Sunday morning, pack up camp and just relax drowning bait in the river section on our way home. We didn't start fishing till 12pm this arvo, fished one spot for half hour and then moved to another area. I choose a spot in slow water but after casting didn't like the spot so after about five minutes decided to move 30m down to another spot that had a nice looking drop off and a few logs in a bit of an eddy. I cast in and my mate called out we'd have to leave in five minutes. I was sitting watching my rods when one bounced a little like a little fish but then took off and almost went in, I again knew I was on a ripper fish, it had a couple of runs peeling line off my 5000 reel with 50lb braid. I walked into to water up just bellow my knees shoes and all to get the fish over the drop off and was shaking as I pulled my sleeve over my hand to grab her bottom lip. My mate ran to get the brag mat and I just held her in the water with amazement, patting her as she sat relaxed and happy with my thumb in her mouth. I knew she was a new PB and guessed 118 but the mat proved me wrong at 117cm. WOW, my new pb of 110cm was beaten 42.5hours later by 7cm but a much broader fish and it only took 5 minutes, a 60 cent hook and a bit of chicken. We were planning to leave for Copeton on Thursday but guess what, we're going back on Tuseday or Wednesday and will get a few extra days fishing instead of driving 14 hours each way. The Murray river seems to be going off from Yarrawonga all the way to Mildura at the moment, get amongst them.
1.1 - Copy.jpg
1.2 - Copy.jpg
1.3 - Copy.jpg
1.4 - Copy.jpg

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: PB Mulwala Trip

Post by Boonanza » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:28 pm

Awesome couple of fish Millzee :a_goodjob:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:36 pm

Top report mate with some great pics.
Just one fish like that is awesome but 2! Congrats on your new pb! :thumbsup: :a_goodjob:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:48 pm

Great report
Awsome fish mate

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:58 am

Top fishes
Top pics
Top Story
Well Done

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:20 am

A good weekend for some very nice fish, well done Millzee, cheers davo :a_goodjob:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:56 am

Millzee wrote: was shaking as I pulled my sleeve over my hand to grab her bottom lip.
Welcome to the club!!!! :a_goodjob:

I certainly had the shakes when I got the big one off the top a few weeks back - the noise for a start scared me. Then the adrenaline rush when you see the size of it as it comes in.

How loud was the boof of the first one? Which one fought better, the one in the lake or the river?

I bet the whole thing is still playing over in your mind!

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:04 pm

Jealous :( Nup, not at all :o_0: Is it time for the next Cod trip yet :tease:

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:15 pm

Awesome Fish there

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:58 pm

Cheers fellas. The river fish went a lot harder than the lake model but the lake model was more exciting off the top. It hit hard and hooked itself, went off shaking around and rolling on the surface and then just let me wind her in. I woke up last night light a nightmare but was dreaming that I got hit so hard the rod was ripped from my hands, I laid there smiling to myself like a moron for a few minutes, lol.

Return to “Australian Natives”