PB Mulwala Trip

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Re: PB Mulwala Trip

Post by greggo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Great stuff mate.
That bucket-mouth inhaling your lure would've great to watch, being that close. Then to back it up with a bigger model...doesn't get much better!

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:42 pm

Bloody awesome! That's what dreams are made of!

Anth

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:34 pm

That's one beautiful fish, good job.. nothing better than catching a PB,

they don't come around all that often, congratulations in doing so.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:55 pm

Millzee wrote: the lake model was more exciting off the top. It hit hard and hooked itself, went off shaking around and rolling on the surface
Millzee, I now almost exclusively fish for cod with surface lures. I might be getting fewer fish, but rarely doughnut, and the average size is better than with bait. The surface hits can be amazing and with a big fish with the tail slapping and the water foaming it is something never to be forgotten.

Some years ago I got a 70 pounder on a subsurface lure but rate the metre fish I got off the top a few weeks ago much higher.

Was this in your nightmare? (the last take in the clip is pretty much what I remember of my hit):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGHGima5Zks

I am pissed off as I am working most days and haven't got time to have a fish. I can't complain, I got a metre plus fish off the top and followed up a week later hooking and losing a bigger fish. Catching a 90 cm job was almost underwhelming. I tried for a couple of hours the other night on the Goulburn for one small fish. From now on the number of boofs decline as the water cools but some big ones are to be had.

I hope in the next few weeks to head out with Davek to get him into the metre plus club. He had a sniff the other day and fingers crossed he will taste success.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:29 pm

That's awesome footage hey. I'll be chasing them again from Wednesday till the 11th if you want to catch up and stay a night or two, pm me for the location details.

ben475
Has liked: 160 times

Post by ben475 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:26 pm

good to see such a great cod taken on a simple bait setup.
never taken a cod on a surface lure myself, will have to give it a try sometime!

Millzee

Post by Millzee » Fri May 11, 2018 7:59 pm

Just got back from our trip, the river was dropping like mad on the first few days at Cobram and the fish went off the bite. I managed to get a 96cm off the top last Friday night but by Tuesday morning we decided to pack up camp and head to Mulwala. We worked the channels and picked up plenty of cod in the 50-65cm range but no monsters. The lake has started dropping and the boat ramps are getting hard to use but the (pool) boat ramp in Yarrawonga will be fine. I was going to drop the boat in bellow the weir but the angled ramp is almost out of the water making it useless so we ended up packing up the camp and went into a nice warm cabin last night. This morning we bait fished off the bank on the Mulwala side bellow the wall and within 5 minutes my rod buckled over the same or better than the 117cm a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't believe I was onto another metery. At that moment I called to my mate and as he come running over the bloody big girl reefed me on some logs and for a good 15 minutes I did everything I could to get her out but unfortunately after giving her some loose line, she took off thrusting on the line and the leader broke. Several swear words later I had re rigged and another bait out and the same thing happen but on a smaller model, I'm guessing a 60-70. Not long after this the weir siren sounded and they opened two gates pretty wide for half hour and the fish seem to shut down, even after the water settled to a slow flow again, the fish disappeared or no longer wanted to eat so we headed home about 2pm. Happy days!!

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri May 11, 2018 8:19 pm

The joys of fishing hey Danny, you win some you lose some, bad luck on the big girl, still good to be out though hey, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Millzee

Post by Millzee » Fri May 11, 2018 8:40 pm

just keeps me keen to get back as soon as I can for another crack at her

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri May 11, 2018 9:10 pm

Millzee wrote:Just got back from our trip, the river was dropping like mad on the first few days at Cobram and the fish went off the bite. I managed to get a 96cm off the top last Friday night but by Tuesday morning we decided to pack up camp and head to Mulwala. We worked the channels and picked up plenty of cod in the 50-65cm range but no monsters. The lake has started dropping and the boat ramps are getting hard to use but the (pool) boat ramp in Yarrawonga will be fine. I was going to drop the boat in bellow the weir but the angled ramp is almost out of the water making it useless so we ended up packing up the camp and went into a nice warm cabin last night. This morning we bait fished off the bank on the Mulwala side bellow the wall and within 5 minutes my rod buckled over the same or better than the 117cm a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't believe I was onto another metery. At that moment I called to my mate and as he come running over the bloody big girl reefed me on some logs and for a good 15 minutes I did everything I could to get her out but unfortunately after giving her some loose line, she took off thrusting on the line and the leader broke. Several swear words later I had re rigged and another bait out and the same thing happen but on a smaller model, I'm guessing a 60-70. Not long after this the weir siren sounded and they opened two gates pretty wide for half hour and the fish seem to shut down, even after the water settled to a slow flow again, the fish disappeared or no longer wanted to eat so we headed home about 2pm. Happy days!!
Might have lost the big one but sounds like you still did well. Nice work mate :thumbsup:

Return to “Australian Natives”