Murray River near Yarrawonga

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Murray River near Yarrawonga

Post by Millzee » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:08 am

A mate and I decided to do a quick overnighter and go for a drive to explore some new water. We arrived at around 6pm Wednesday, set up camp and hit the water. We spent a bit of time finding eddies and decent looking banks with good structure and were rewarded with a decent 66.5cm off the top on a Mudeye double paddler by about 10pm. We decided to get off the water about an hour later to get a few hours sleep ready for a big day Thursday. Waking up before the sun we were back on the water after a quick coffee and into it. It was a long slow day broken up between casting lures, a little bit of trolling and some bait fishing to get some rest with very little result. I got a cod smaller than my hand on a bit of chicken but we didn't let it get too us. Once 6pm rolled around we scooted up river to a bank we'd discovered earlier that looked promising and began working the surface. As we drifted and spot locked on good looking logs I noticed a kingfisher feeding on each side of a large old tree descending into the water and was amazed in how it was sitting above staring into to water and at just the right moment would dive to catch what I believe were shrimp leaving a little ripple on the water. I began to cast right in amongst were it was fishing and on about the third cast I got hit by healthy and heavy 71cm again on a double paddler. We continued to work along that stretch of river and within a short while I had another look from what seemed like a small cod. I cast again but it didn't have another crack at my lure so my mate cast his slim paddle into the spot and the water exploded as this big cod smashed at the lure like a bara leaping above the surface but unfortunately didn't hook up. We rested the area and went back a few times but couldn't get it come back out to play so by 9pm we decided to retrieve the boat and start on our 3.5 hour drive home. We'll be going back to tat area as soon as we can, gotta love exploring with results.
4 - Copy.jpg
3 - Copy.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Murray River near Yarrawonga

Post by Lightningx » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:40 am

Great report and pics.
Well done :thumbsup:

M9085

Post by M9085 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:49 am

cracking fish! It seems you have found good area.

Murlz
Has liked: 60 times

Post by Murlz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:14 pm

Nice report. Nice Fish
Murlz
“I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.”

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:26 pm

Some good fish there Millzee, good job, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:00 pm

Nice report and fish Millzee :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Return to “Australian Natives”