Gippsland Blackfish

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Gippsland Blackfish

Post by Truedogz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi All

I just got back from a trip checking out some blackfish streams in Gippsland. I fished the area for a couple of reasons. First, to see how blackfish populations were faring after the recent millenium drought and bushfires. Second, trying to catch the elusive big one. Thirty years ago I used to chase blackies a fair bit. My biggest was 4 pounds and I have caught a number around the kilo mark - which are really huge fish compared to the average seen these days.

The first destination was a remote small stream. I had to go down a difficult 4wd track and at the bottom I tried to get my truck level enough so I could sleep without sliding downhill - without much luck:
Steep Country.jpg
Next morning I set off on the long hike to the stream in difficult country. I had a backpack with a bit of food and a sleeping bag. More important was the fishing gear. If this trip sounds like one of Dr Broomstick's adventures well it was - the only things missing were a dog and a girlfriend with a nose ring!:
Essential Gear.jpg
As you can see this looks like a great stream. In the past it held good numbers of trout and blackies; in fact I know of a six pounder having been caught in it:
nice stream.jpg
Unfortunately, all I caught was a couple of small eels. Spotlighting at night revealed a lack of blackfish and I saw one small trout. It looks like the drought took its toll on the blackfish population which has been slow to recover. So next, plan B.....

I went bush bashing in mountain goat country through thick scrub in steep country to get to bigger water:
tough country.jpg
The river is stunning:
beautiful river.jpg
Here I did much better. In one evening's fishing I caught a number of big eels, trout to about 30 cm and blackfish to about 40 cm. A bigger blackie dropped the hook near the bank. I managed to get these pics before the battery in the camera went flat :oops: :
brown.jpg
big eel.jpg
blackie 1.jpg
blackie 2.jpg
The long walk out was physically very demanding - but you know its good for you :rofl: . I didn't catch a monster blackie but had some fun. I am a bit concerned though about the condition of some streams since the drought.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Re: Gippsland Blackfish

Post by meppstas » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:17 pm

Certainly a long & tough fishing trip Truedogz, good thing was that you did manage a fish or two which was good to see. I reckon you would have a rest day or two after that trip..Hot weather & low water over a long period certainly does take it's toll on the small streams & creeks that's for sure.. They do come back in time providing there's some good Autumn, Winter & Spring rains.. There's a small river I fish here in Tassie and it really got knocked around back in 2012/13 when we had a very dry Autumn & Winter with no backup rains through spring.. Counted 80 dead brown trout in a pool on one occasion, it's only now just come back to around 65% to what it once was.. Let's hope you get some rain shortly to help put a bit of life back into some of those small rivers & streams.. I'm rain dancing here too hoping for some rain..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:21 pm

Good report mate, more nice (tough) country and fish, cheers davo :a_goodjob:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:59 pm

great read buddy you certanly do the hard yards

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:14 pm

Sounds hard going but you got some fish for the trip.
Well done
Last edited by smile0784 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:13 pm

Great report and pics! :thumbsup:

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:34 pm

Awesome read and pics mate! Makes me want to give it a crack myself

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:02 pm

A couple more shots of the river - pretty wild and spectacular country!
river 1.jpg
river 2.jpg
Best Wishes

Truedogz

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:33 pm

Great pics & report - blackfish seem to be a forgotten target species. Wayback we used to get them out the back of nillahcootie in good numbers & size, it maybe faring the same as gippy. You'd still be happy with the 40cm.
quid est quod eum

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:55 pm

Great report TD you definitely go to great efforts to catch the fresh natives. Imagine Trout outcompete these fish for habitat.

Return to “Australian Natives”