One Last Time

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
bilby

Re: One Last Time

Post by bilby » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:09 pm

Just read your report - extraordinary stuff! It has inspired me to look into these fish and find out a bit more about them. Many thanks for posting such a great piece - and congratulations on your success on this trip!

MickCov
Has liked: 13 times

Post by MickCov » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Great writeup Truedogz.
They really are a great fish.I have a spot i have been going to for many years and although it's a small Macca population,it's probably my favourite spot due to its rugged location.

Genericname

Post by Genericname » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:17 pm

Amazing session!

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Thank you Truedogz, I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a report that much. I have admired Macquarie perch from afar for a long time and you have indeed inspired me to get out there and find one for myself. If I do, I will treat them with the same respect as you. Cheers, Pat
Last edited by Broomstick on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:49 am

Post of the year! Thank you for sharing the experience.

Would you be interested in writing a tutorial on how to target Maq Perch with artificials?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:44 am

Thank you for taking the time to put this report up, and sharing your knowledge and experience. Right up there for best reports

mcbain

Post by mcbain » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:19 am

Great post one of the best of read on this forum. :thumbsup: Im nearly 40 and i've never caught a macca.
I reckon blue rock dam in gippsland would be a great place to stock this species as the bass in that system are doing very well.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:12 pm

Thanks People

I think I have demonstrated the true potential of maccas as a sportsfish. Sadly, that potential will never be realised. They are really off the radar of most anglers - one person in VRfish a few years ago described as them only having potential for a few niche fisheries. At the same time VRfish promoted a bag limit for redfin. :down:

Keep in mind that they once were the most sought after native fish in this state after cod:
Macca Angling Article.JPG
Unfortunately the only streams where you can target Macquarie perch are the Yarra River and those running into Lake Dartmouth. And based on conversations I have had with people in government agencies we will never be able to angle for them in other streams no matter how common they become, even though anglers help fund recovery efforts. All we will get are rec fisheries in small impoundments like Expedition Pass. It is an absolutely appalling situation. One person told me she would rather not have maccas in a stream if anglers can fish for them!! :down:

That attitude is really hindering efforts at making progress. For example look at the results in crowd funding recently for estuary perch in the Merri River which raised over $18000 compared to the result for maccas in the Goulburn catchment of under $4300. The success in the breeding of maccas recently at Snobs Creek has fallen away and it is notable that Native Fish Australia no longer provides assistance. The angling community knows it is being mislead about Macquarie perch as we were with trout cod.

Macquarie perch are found in some other streams not that far from Melbourne but you cannot target them. I live near some and honestly I avoid fishing these areas nowadays. Occasionally I fish the edges near the main habitat but I target the carp and redfin trying to do my bit for them.

I will when I get a chance put a piece together on catching maccas on artificials. The main tip is to use small lures, SPs or wetflies like bead-head nymphs and matukas. For best success a sink and draw action is required - they don't usually slam an artificial like a cod but try and suck it in, so the momentary pauses facilitate that.

Look at my recent post on Yarra Glen. I didn't have my lures or flies with me but I am sure they would have worked. The Yarra was low and clear - perfect conditions. You have more chance in the smaller reaches further upstream than down near Templestowe. The Yarra won't be as good for a week or too after this rain but then I'd have a go. They usually bite well in April. And they are found all the way up to Launching Place. Take the worms with you, but flick the artificials around, particularly once the sun hits the horizon.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Always a good read, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:40 pm

They are still out there Will caught a couple today while chasing trout :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Return to “Australian Natives”