Tips for begginers

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Tips for begginers

Post by Truedogz » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:29 am

I have received a number of pms from people seeking out advice on catching cod. They usually seek advice on access, locations and fishing methods. I guess regular posters who live in 'cod country' such as davek, barra mick and drew 2 also get pms asking for help. It is great that people are keen to chase cod and other natives using modern sportfishing methods.

In most pms people are very polite and I am pleased to help out. Others get shitty if I don't identify a specific bend on a river where I catch fish.

Honestly, every where I go in the warm months I catch cod. Some locations are better than others but all produce. I've been out with davek when we have accidentally caught cod while chasing redfin!

A good way to learn is to contact one of the regular posters if you are heading into their territory and invite them to go out with you. Once they get to know you and find out you are not a d***head who is going to massacre fish, have rave parties on the bank and leave rubbish they will become more forthcoming with assistance. I met davek a few months back, we got to know each other and have had some great trips. We have shared locations knowing neither one of us will wreck it for the other.

As to locations the best way is to do some reading, use google earth and then explore. That's what I do and how I find my spots. It is almost rediculously easy to catch cod, at least small ones, in the lower reaches of rivers such as the Goulburn, Broken, Ovens and the Murray between Yarrawonga and Echuca. Using mozarella cheese as bait and stumpjumpers you should get cod every day during the warm months - just don't expect monsters.

As a generalisation there is a higher number of cod in rivers of lower average size than in stocked impoundments. If you want bigger average fish try in stocked waters. In rivers though you will probably get more strikes.

As to methods it is very hard to convey detail in an email. Youtube clips are a great teacher and Robbie Alexander has some great ones - I recommend that novices watch a few of them, he has clips on most topics related to lure fishing with cod. Most people are familiar with fishing methods for hard body lures; soft plastics are a bit different and spinner baits very different. Again, watch some clips. People are getting excited about surface fishing for cod. Again, watch some clips. People like Rod Harrison and myself have been doing it for forty years, but it is only in the past decade that the method has really taken off. Ditto with flies.

Adrian has some great threads on trout fishing which provides some insight and are great for beginners to study. Perhaps over time a few of us can create some similar things on natives.

There is a thread on a proposed cod trip in a few months. I would strongly advise newbees to come along. The more experienced blokes will teach you some basic methods and you will develop contacts for future trips. You can also develop some great friendships.

Just put in the time and you will get results and grow in confidence. If it dries out a bit this arvo I might have another crack at the surface cod tonight!

Best Wishes

Truedogz

kenzie101

Re: Tips for begginers

Post by kenzie101 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:55 am

Thanks Truedogz-I think that your email pretty well sums up the feeling and the vibe of the site.

Mark.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:58 am

Great thread Truedogz.
Am against giving away spots personally in most situations. Rough areas like you have is all someone should ask for.

Most successful anglers have put in a lot of time and have the learned ability to pick up on subtle changes to conditions that could indicate a particular method will catch them fish.

People who expect to be spoon fed generally will fail as they tend to give up quickly. Hope to head up cod country in the next few weeks so it's good to read about the health of the area.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:15 am

Am heading to Beechworth in the coming week for a few days. Hope to pack a rod which will be my all round hazelwood Barra small snapper spin combo. Have a few vibes, stump jumpers, poppers and a jumbo cicada.

Not after exact locations more where would be a good place to start? I have heard the ovens is one area anywhere else rough areas not exact points cheers.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:31 am

rb85

Where you go is influenced a bit by the method being used - I'll presume you will be using lures.

The streams up that way are still a touch high from the recent rain - it makes wading them when walking upstream a bit harder than normal. If you are prepared to wade then the road bridges near Tarrawingee, Everton and Whorouly are your starting points. Walk upstream and fish late afternoon/dusk - make sure you have a headlamp. You will definitely be getting wet.

The other option is the Ovens downstream of Peechelba. The river is bigger but bank access is much better. You could bait fish easily there too.

Third option is the King River from Moyhu upstream to Cheshunt. Plenty of cod from Moyhu to Edi, then less upstream. Good bank access, just walk upstream from a road crossing.

Best Wishes

Truedogz.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:36 am

Thanks heaps Truedogz will all depend on time but this is a start appreciate your advice.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:07 pm

Truedogz advice come through caught my first Murray Cod small one but a start out of the ovens.

Thanks Truedogz

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Truedogz wrote:rb85

Where you go is influenced a bit by the method being used - I'll presume you will be using lures.

The streams up that way are still a touch high from the recent rain - it makes wading them when walking upstream a bit harder than normal. If you are prepared to wade then the road bridges near Tarrawingee, Everton and Whorouly are your starting points. Walk upstream and fish late afternoon/dusk - make sure you have a headlamp. You will definitely be getting wet.

The other option is the Ovens downstream of Peechelba. The river is bigger but bank access is much better. You could bait fish easily there too.

Third option is the King River from Moyhu upstream to Cheshunt. Plenty of cod from Moyhu to Edi, then less upstream. Good bank access, just walk upstream from a road crossing.

Best Wishes

Truedogz.
Gday Truedogz don't know if you saw the last post caught a little cod on a stump jumper out of the ovens. Was a lot more flow in the river than expected.

Thanks again

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Just want to publicly call out a thanks to TrueDogz for his posts and also taking the time to provide some guidance to me as someone who messaged him inspired by his posts.

I can appreciate there are a lot of lazy bums out there wanting to be literally carried to hot spot X, and because of that it's a rare occasion where I will message someone for info/help for fear of being perceived as one (as the message receiver does not have much to go off to discern who is genuine and who is not - especially with low activity poster such as myself).

When I do message, i generally am only asking for some confirmation/moreso validation of google map scouting - because as someone that doesn't get the opportunity to get to those spots much that are 2h+ drive, it can be frustrating the little time you get being taken up by the location validation process (eg: get to possible location, walk and scout, move onto the next), then not getting another chance to go back to the validated area for a proper fish for a few months at least. Advice that Truedogz gave fit the bill and again, completely appreciative of his time and contributions on the site (along with the other regular posters) - so thank you again to TD and other contributing posters.

Cheers, chris.

marckyg123

Post by marckyg123 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:20 pm

I've heard that braid is good line for cod fishing what poundage would you reccomend

Return to “Australian Natives”