Boonie Doon 1st and 2nd Nov 2016

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
jedgpz

Boonie Doon 1st and 2nd Nov 2016

Post by jedgpz » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:34 pm

Just got home from my annual cup day, post cup day trip to Boonie Doon with a mate.

Cup Day.
Left home at 4am to get on the water at day break
The plan was to slow roll gulps down and up trees. flicking spinnerbaits and trolling hard bodies.
Cup day was a shocker weather wise. I am sure it was -3 on the water. Choppy and windy.
dropped 2 fish. one on a gulp and the other was a decent size cod on the troll. It hit hard but as I got it near the boat it shook the lure a number 1 yellow pearl Stumpy.
Over all it was an ordinary day. Cold, choppy, fishless...

Day two.
on the water at day break. Calm breeze and by 7am first fish. A 55cm yella. Fishing amazes me how things can be so different from day to day.
over all we got 4 yellas from 48 to 55cm. They all fell to Black Gulps.
Water was only about 15c compared to 18c last year. I like it about 18c and above for yella fishing.
Cheers Jed

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Boonie Doon 1st and 2nd Nov 2016

Post by ecoronad » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:58 pm

Where did you stay Jed? And how far away did you have to travel from the ramp to get the fish?

My theory is that with this wet and cold spring weather we've been having, I reckon the yellas and natives will be close to the clay/rock banks trying to warm up and hunt the yabbies that should be starting to move and moult. They shouldn't be too far away from schooling and congregating in attempt ot breed.

Did you try slow rolling/hopping the gulps around the exposed clay/rock banks during the day? I've still yet to catch a yella or cod on artificials in Eildon. Would love to do so by the end of the year.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:03 pm

Nice report mate :thumbsup:

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:45 am

Good report Jed, looks promising, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:26 am

great way to catch yellowbelly
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

jedgpz

Post by jedgpz » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:37 am

ecoronad wrote:Where did you stay Jed? And how far away did you have to travel from the ramp to get the fish?

My theory is that with this wet and cold spring weather we've been having, I reckon the yellas and natives will be close to the clay/rock banks trying to warm up and hunt the yabbies that should be starting to move and moult. They shouldn't be too far away from schooling and congregating in attempt ot breed.

Did you try slow rolling/hopping the gulps around the exposed clay/rock banks during the day? I've still yet to catch a yella or cod on artificials in Eildon. Would love to do so by the end of the year.
I think we are about a month or so behind in the weather.
got all the fish by slow rolling the Gulps up the side of the trees. They were sitting at the 20 foot and above mark.
Black gulp was the go, last year they smashed the Camo gulps but not this year.

Saw a couple of fish taken to either spinnerbaits or jackels being flicked around the trees as well but we did not get any that way.

Cheers Jed

Persistence
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Persistence » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:26 am

Nice fish.

Return to “Australian Natives”