Cod around millgrove

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
MasterBaiter24
Has liked: 40 times

Cod around millgrove

Post by MasterBaiter24 » Sun May 19, 2024 4:40 pm

Hi guys, just wondering if the yarra around millgrove way is worth putting some kms in for cod ? If not, anywhere east side melbourne worth a shot? dont mind driving up to an hour/hour and a half from dandenong. Fell free to Send me a pm if you're not comfortable with the info being public too!

cheers

Sebb
Has liked: 3019 times

Re: Cod around millgrove

Post by Sebb » Tue May 21, 2024 3:04 pm

MasterBaiter24 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 4:40 pm
Hi guys, just wondering if the yarra around millgrove way is worth putting some kms in for cod ? If not, anywhere east side melbourne worth a shot? dont mind driving up to an hour/hour and a half from dandenong. Fell free to Send me a pm if you're not comfortable with the info being public too!

cheers
Millgrove near Warburton?
That's more like trout there.
Not sure about cod in the east that far.
Ferntree gully quarry was stocked with cod, but not sure what's going on there now.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Persistence
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Persistence » Wed May 22, 2024 9:48 am

It's quite heavily fished due to it's proximity to Melb. and easy access; even the trout are very wary. If there was a population of cod in there you'd think they would be reported as by catch from people targeting trout. I haven't heard of any reports.
Saying that though; there's every chance.
Good luck and please let us know how you go.

davidz

Post by davidz » Thu May 23, 2024 7:29 am

I have caught a cod at Warrandyte.

MasterBaiter24

Post by MasterBaiter24 » Mon May 27, 2024 2:01 pm

Persistence wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:48 am
It's quite heavily fished due to it's proximity to Melb. and easy access; even the trout are very wary. If there was a population of cod in there you'd think they would be reported as by catch from people targeting trout. I haven't heard of any reports.
see i was thinking that if anyone caught cod there they wouldn't say anything, or else itll turn into like warrandyte/eltham area where theres people fishing for cod every weekend...

I will let you know how i go though, wont be in melbourne for another couple weeks

I was thinking of bringing a trout setup as a backup for if the cod aren't there/not biting, do you have any tips for them?

MasterBaiter24

Post by MasterBaiter24 » Mon May 27, 2024 2:01 pm

Sebb wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 3:04 pm
MasterBaiter24 wrote:

cheers
Ferntree gully quarry was stocked with cod, but not sure what's going on there now.

cheers mate appreciate it, any tips for the trout there ? also any ideas about water clarity this time of year?

Sebb
Has liked: 3019 times

Post by Sebb » Mon May 27, 2024 5:39 pm

MasterBaiter24 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 2:01 pm
Sebb wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 3:04 pm
MasterBaiter24 wrote:

cheers

cheers mate appreciate it, any tips for the trout there ? also any ideas about water clarity this time of year?
Not much rain lately, should be nice and clear.
Make sure you fish before trout season closed, this year is 10th June I believe.
They'll be ready to spawn, orange, pink, red, lures should work.
They spook easily, and hide in the undercut banks. Stand further away.
And do a favour, if you do catch those big trout spawning (the female can squirt eggs), please handle carefully and let go / release.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Persistence
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Persistence » Tue May 28, 2024 4:21 pm

MasterBaiter24 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 2:01 pm
Persistence wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:48 am
see i was thinking that if anyone caught cod there they wouldn't say anything, or else itll turn into like warrandyte/eltham area where theres people fishing for cod every weekend...

I will let you know how i go though, wont be in melbourne for another couple weeks

I was thinking of bringing a trout setup as a backup for if the cod aren't there/not biting, do you have any tips for them?
Just remember the season closes on 11th June I believe. I'll pm you.

Return to “Australian Natives”