Ovens river near Bright

Jimmey997

Ovens river near Bright

Post by Jimmey997 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi all I am heading away soon camping and am looking to do some fishing.
Just looking for some advice. I will be at Freeburgh about 10kms out of bright towards Hotham. Just wondering if there are any spots near there and what techniques i should use aswell as gear.
Thanks heaps

Rod Bender

Re: Ovens river near Bright

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Have only fished the area a bit and the first thing I would say is trout fishing with lures or fly. Secondly I would say it has hopefully cooled down a lot by the time you get there as if it is still hot it may be slow going. Last but possibly most importantly, I remember seeing a pic on facebook (can't find it now) of the Ovens river late last week after heavy rain. I can't remember exactly but I think it was carrying debris from the fires. Perhaps it was not a full on disaster but it may affect the fishing short term. If it is still dirty, bait may be a better option.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Jimmey997

Post by Jimmey997 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks mate for the advice i shall keep a look out for those things
cheers

hangsta*

Post by hangsta* » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:12 pm

fished it years ago,a small spin stick and hard bodys are the goods there, also celtas. cast downstream and find the deeper holes,or cast upstream with a bubble float with mudeye or tigerworm.you'll need to get in amongst it,unless the water is too high.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:24 pm

water will be low unless we recieve unexpected downpour so stealth will be key keep low and out of sight so you don't spook everything in the river.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Read the tail end of this thread! (Stan's comment)

http://www.fishing-victoria.com/viewtop ... f=2&t=3242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The large fires which burnt for weeks did not put themselves out! I'm not sure how much rain they had there but at an orchard I work on at Shepp East ( A long way away from Bright I know) they had approx. 140mm of rain in an arvo/night! On the same day there was significant rain which killed the fires.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

stanm

Post by stanm » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:03 am

That rain did stuff the river for a while as which usually clears after a few days after rain, it wasn't in the 3 days we were there. Neighbours said it absolutely pelted and was great putting out the fire but apparently there was land slips on road between Harrietville & Mt Hotham in a 6km stretch and road closed, hoping to reopen for Easter. Buckland seemed unaffected by this rain as it appeared to be a concentrated band that thankfully put out the fire

Jimmey997

Post by Jimmey997 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Thanks everybody for the advice I shall keep it in mind

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”