Acheron River 10/1

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Acheron River 10/1

Post by DougieK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:54 am

Headed up to the Acheron River with a mate who's never fished before. Didn't get up there until nearly 11am, so not ideal timing.

We hit the stretch on the downstream side of the Glendale Road bridge near Buxton. First little run we arrived at i saw telltale still wet footprints of someone who had clearly been there that morning.

Walked maybe 4km spinning spots on the way. I had two really close follow ups about an hour in, literally an inch from my lure as it arrived at my feet. My mate who's never so much as seen a fish in the wild had the same thing happen a couple of times.

Zero fish for the day, lost 7 lures. I've been spoilt fishing these nice clean lakes i forgot what it was like to spin a river. Either way it was a nice walk and we had a quick swim at the meeting of the waters in Buxton. Probably head up and try the rubicon next week sometime.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Rod Bender

Re: Acheron River 10/1

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:06 pm

DougieK wrote:....Didn't get up there until nearly 11am,.... so not ideal timing.
That is how I operate! I enjoy fishing and don't like ruining the day by having to get up early! Fishing rivers like that is enjoyable itself. A fish is a bonus! So you missed your bonus, no big deal.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:59 am

Rod Bender wrote:
DougieK wrote:....Didn't get up there until nearly 11am,.... so not ideal timing.
That is how I operate! I enjoy fishing and don't like ruining the day by having to get up early! Fishing rivers like that is enjoyable itself. A fish is a bonus! So you missed your bonus, no big deal.
Jim

I don't necessarily disagree, especially that river under the Cathedral Ranges. Getting up early never really bothers me and i'm crazily competitive and so is he, we were chatting about it on the way home and he said (first time fishing) "so we didn't give ourselves every possible chance of getting it right" which pretty much sums it up i think.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:42 am

The tallest mountain - Mt Cathedral is it? Although driving past many times I have not gone into the river camping grounds since the fires. What is it like in there now? As in fishing wise! Is the river in there difficult to access? I guess you have been there?
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:13 am

Access is ok from the road. We were walking down next to Taggerty airport. A heap of work seems to have been done with rock retaining walls to preven the deep corners from getting any deeper. The river itself flows well with tons of snags to find fish under. I'm recovering from a major back injury and got my 110kg frame down to all the spots my mate did who is super super fit.

We climbed mt cathedral last year (the really steep rocky one you can see on the east of the road north of buxton) and it's amazing, but not for the feint hearted. Basically 60 degrees or steeper most of the way. You drive around the peak to the north from maroondah highway then down the east side of the mountain. We drove to the very end of the rode which was rough not in a 4WD. My shitty corolla is indestructable thankfully.

There are a couple of camp grounds on the way that are in good condition. The camping ground i've always stayed at is on Rubicon Road just past the power plant and trout farm then on the left. They have recently (i mean within the last 10 years) put in a toilet and upgraded the walkways. About a 5 minute walk upstream which is now up a beatiful level pathway there an a cool little swimming hole that you can fish if i'ts not busy.

If you go that way try fishing the outlet of the power station. The guy who taught me how to spin who has 40 years of experience thinks the warm water attracts fish. Landed the biggest trout i've ever caught there.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”