Murray under Hume.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Murray under Hume.

Post by DougieK » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:49 am

Spin for a couple of hours early this morning from the dam wall to the bridge in the Victorian side. Picked up a picture perfect female rainbow, about 35 cm and half a kilo. Jumped twice and put up a good fight, I let her go. Hopefully shell breed some more for next year. Took a blue and gold celta spinner that is actually quite rusted. These things are the bomb in rivers for trout.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Rod Bender

Re: Murray under Hume.

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Many years ago I only used size 1 celtas for trout before branching out to reach the ridiculous point where I am now - that many different lures I am at a loss what to use at times! I miss the good old days!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

wading not drowning

Post by wading not drowning » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:54 pm

Nice one Dougie.It might be worth putting a running sinker above your celta to get it down a bit deeper.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks Jim! I've only ever caught trout on small celta spinners or rapala's in tiny brown or rainbow patterns. I much prefer the spinners even though they might not be quite as effective because it's far less painful losing a $4 celta than a $22 rapala.

Wading i'm back in Melbourne now but how does that work exactly? do i use a swivel and a lead or just put a bean sinker on and let it run down to the lure?

I'm very new to lake / big river fishing, although a mate and i might make a couple of day trips up towards the acheron or rubicon in the next week or so.

Final tally for the week was 16 redfin and one really nice trout, will upload photos later today!

LBG Season 2023/4 :

wading not drowning

Post by wading not drowning » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Try a small barrel sinker with a swivel or plastic keel about 30 cm up from the lure in big fast currents and let the river flow work the lure back along the bottom , reeling in just fast enough to keep it from catching a snag and use the rod to vary the lure action and speed. A bit like retrieving a soft plastic. In strong flows trout will hug the bottom or the bank to save energy. Thanks for the updates on your trip and i am glad that you had a good time and a successful fish.If it stays hot up to your Rubicon trip you might like to hang a right at Narbethong and check out Woods Point,big river or one of the other higher streams.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:49 pm

I think i'ts meant to be low to mid 20's weds and thursday. I'll have to dig out my old bait tackle and see if i have any sinkers swivels or just go buy some. Never been up to Woods Point, will have a squiz on google maps.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”