Lake Dartmouth Easter

bigdan91

Lake Dartmouth Easter

Post by bigdan91 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi guys,

Thinking about a 4x4 trip with some fishing at Dartmouth over Easter. I’ve got a 3.3hp inflatable with 8hp two stroke so nothing huge but could still troll some lures

What’s the fishing like up there? Any recommendations on where to start as it looks like a huge lake and I’m guessing I’ll need to find somewhere sheltered in my dinghy

Is there any good camping on the lakeside?

Cheers

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Re: Lake Dartmouth Easter

Post by ben475 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:44 pm

its a big lake. can really blow up so be careful.

there are 3 camp sites on the lake. you can drive to the Eustace ck camp, the other 2 are boat access only.
troll a Tassie devil and or minnow lure early morn up one of the arms of the lake near the trees and you have a chance.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Last I read, you need deep divers.
I'd try around the snags on the shore or c4.
Cheers Gra

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Dartmouth is not easy for shore camping, most banks are steep and heavily wooded to the shoreline.
Depending on the water level there are a few spots on points that can be camped on but only accessed by boat.
There is a caravan park a short drive from the lake.
When I lived at Wangaratta 20 odd years ago spent a heap of time at the Dart and the big winner was always flasher type
Blades and Cowbells with a bunch of worms trailing on leader of a metre or so.Some people didn,t like the weight when fighting the fish but they outfished everthing else. Mudeye could also be used instead of worms.
As a rule, the lake is too deep and full of timber for bottom fishing but there are places where the old Omeo road meets the lake that can be bottom fished for Macquarie Perch, Dartmouth is one of the only places you can legally fish for them but be careful as there is a 35 cm minimum,and that,s a decent size perch.You can also chase them in the upper reaches of the Dart Arm.
Methods change over the years and I would be interested to know if the the old flashers are used today.
Many fond memories of the Dart, hope this helps you a bit
Good luck.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:31 pm

Good advice, Blue
Cheers Gra

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”