Solid session on the Goulburn

Ploh

Solid session on the Goulburn

Post by Ploh » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:06 pm

After receiving a tip and recommendation from a local, I headed to a spot further up the Goulburn than my previous session.
I also took on board everyone's tip on using a running sinker rig instead of a paternoster.
As all my fishing tackle is still in Melbourne, I made use of what I had (bomb sinkers). So I kept the single paternoster rig but swapped the sinker and hook around so that the hook sat on the end of the line and the sinker 30cm up the line.
As usual, the bait was worms.

To cut a long story short, I managed 5 fish over 3 hours.
Three (unidentified) fish which I suspect are silver perch? I am still new to the area but know that silver perch are protected. So instead of risking it, I put them all back. They were 34cm, 30cm and ~28cm.
I also managed to catch two carp towards the end.

I am still getting snagged heaps and it's getting annoying. Will a running sinker rig minimise how many times I have to cut and change my line?

Cheers guys!
IMG_20190311_154026_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190311_141758_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190311_130256_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190311_140424_HDR.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Solid session on the Goulburn

Post by Lightningx » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:58 pm

Nice session mate :thumbsup:

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:19 pm

Looks like silver perch or mac perch. They look similar around that size.

Unfortunately no, I personally think bait fishing in lower Goulburn always has a risk of losing rigs since it's very snaggy, but that's why the natives love the area.
Try circle hook. If you're adventurous, try to put a loop of 30lb mono around the hook so when you retrieve it'll just bounce off the sticks and all.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:19 pm

Nice effort Ploh! The last 3 pics would be silvers me thinks. Two definitely anyway, the second last pic is hard to see. On saying that, you should consider getting a brag mat to take your pics on. The dirt will not help the protective slime of the fish. Makes for a better pic as well if the fish is clean.

As mentioned, the natives are in the snags so loss of tackle is unavoidable. At one point I used a paternoster in snaggy water as it was the 'done thing'. Now I am not so sure. I have changed to using a running sinker down to the hook. Too early to say if it makes a difference, but I believe it makes for a more compact presentation which may reduce the chances of snagging. What I am sure of is if losing tackle frequently, it is a lot quicker to retie the running sinker and get your line back in!!!!!!
Cheers
Jim

Ploh

Post by Ploh » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Cheers for the tips guys.
What size circle hook for worms? And what size sinker are we all using for the running sinker rig? A bean or ball sinker?

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:39 am

Either ball or bean.
Try black magic KL hook 1/0 up to 4/0, depends on target fish. Bigger fish bigger hook, and you'll get nibbles from smaller fish.
Smaller hook may catch you small fish, KL/circle hook that is too small for big fish tends to slip out of the fish's mouth.
Circle/KL hook is designed for jaw hook up, so of the jaw is bigger than the hook's gap, tends to fail.

I use 3/0 or 4/0 and put more than one worm if the worms are small.

And yeah, like April Fool said, if you intend to release the fish, try to keep them clean and wet, it helps them to survive.

Good luck!

Watp

Post by Watp » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:45 am

I fished the Goulburn in Shepp over the weekend and had much of the same thing with super fast lick plucks on the rod tip. I could not hit the things they were so quick!

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:59 am

Watp wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:45 am
I fished the Goulburn in Shepp over the weekend and had much of the same thing with super fast lick plucks on the rod tip. I could not hit the things they were so quick!
Try running sinker, smaller sinker and smaller hook. Soft nibble tip rod helps too, to create less resistance as much as possible. If no current, try weightless bait and slack line bite detection technique.

Watp

Post by Watp » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:01 am

Ploh that was not you who i spoke to on the river behind the lake in Shepparton on Sunday afternoon?

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:29 am

Watp wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:45 am
The really tiny bumps could be fresh water shrimp pulling at your bait. I didn't know this until i saw a YouTube vid talking about it.

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”